Chapter 6: Chairs and Stares

The bell rang above the door, signaling her arrival into the shop that smelled like the three things she loved most in life: books, coffee, and tea. Jennie stepped into the small shop that was crammed between two large financial buildings that towered above the small shop like two giants.

When she went for her morning runs she had spotted the quirky building, with its crooked frame which caused it to lean haphazardly to one side and it's bright purple and blue paint job. But that wasn't what caught her attention. No, it was the grass. Real grass in the middle of Seoul. Jennie had to backtrack to make sure she was actually seeing right and not just high on coffee fumes.

But it was real. And it made her smile.

So she had called the book store for an interview for a job position, there was a sign in the front that said HELP WANTED and Jennie definitely needed a job. So where else should she look but a bookstore? It was better than working at a Diner as a waitress or doing some boring job like being a secretary for some big shot CEO.

No she wanted to work somewhere she loved, where she wouldn't mind having to go into work every day. And there was no better place than a bookstore where she'd be surrounded by words, by thoughts, by ideas of other writers throughout the years. The very thought sent shivers down her spine.

The inside was covered in books. It reminded her of her own living room. It instantly made her feel at home. There was an old spiral staircase in the back that probably creaked whenever anyone stepped on it which wound up to what Jennie hoped was another level of books.

A lady in what appeared to be her early forties was sitting at the front counter, a book in hand. She didn't even look up when Jennie approached. She stood there awkwardly, rocking back and forth on her heals, clutching her folder which held her very pitiful résumé in her hands. The lady didn't look up.

She cleared her throat.

The lady didn't look up.

"Um?" Jennie began.

She still didn't look up.

"Ma'am."

No eyes noticeable at all.

"I'm here for the job," Jennie finally said. At this the lady sighed and looked up at Jennie, snapping close her book. Jennie nearly jumped back at the heavy snap.

"Yes, no one else would stand there so awkwardly with a folder clutched in her hands like that," the lady said. She looked at Jennie fully and Jennie made a gasping noise in shock. "Well what is it?" The lady asked.

"Your… your eyes!" Jennie said, her voice shaking.

"Yes what about them? They're eyes, they're old but they still do their job perfectly. As far as I'm concerned you see eyes every day," the lady said, rolling her eyes.

"But… but they're cat-like!" Jennie said. They would terrify anyone who looked at them.

Except for Jennie.

Because, they were her eyes.

"Yes they're  shape like that. I'm sure at least ten percent of the population has feline eyes as well, just like you do. Now are there anymore problems or stupid exclamations?" The woman asked snippily. "I'd like to get this job interview done while there's not a large crowd of people in the shop."

"No… no ma'am," Jennie said, still stumbling to make out full sentences. "I… I brought my résumé," she said, promptly holding out the folder which was wrinkled and had sweat stains on it. The woman looked at it disdainfully.