Chapter 8: Little Words

They say that dreams tell you about your fears. If you have nightmares about losing one of your permanent teeth it usually means that you have a fear of being wrong or of things not being perfect. If you have a dream about drowning in an ocean it means you fear being small and insignificant. But doctors can never fully know the workings of the mind, they can never fully determine a dream and its meaning.

But they do know one thing:

Dreams have power.

When the body goes to sleep, the mind is still at work and you're transported to another world. A world of dreams. But not all dreams are good. Some dreams can hinder more than help. Some dreams make you relive a past you just want to forget about.

And some dreams make you wake up in a cold sweat in the middle of the night.

Just as Lisa Manoban was experiencing right now.

"Tyson!"A fifteen year old Lisa yelled as she watched her thirteen year old brother run into the road after a ball after Lisa had dared him to go and get it. She had called Tyson a chicken and a coward and taunted him until he said he'd go and get the football that she had overthrown in their game of catch.

"Watch out!" Lisa screamed, she heard her voice crack as time seemed to slow just as they say it does when something awful is about to happen. She could feel it in her stomach, her heart began to pound faster and faster as she watched the car coming out of nowhere, swerving left and right as if the driver couldn't control themselves. As if the driver was drunk.

Straight at her half-brother.

Tyson didn't stand a chance.

He had always been slower than Lisa, bigger and seemed to lumber around whereas Lisa was agile and quick. The car struck the thirteen year old boy down.

In all happened in a blur. The car. The scream. The boy crumpling to the ground. Lisa couldn't remember any feeling more terrible, any feeling more thick with emotion as she watched in horror as her little brother didn't move. As the car didn't stop. As the car sped on by.

Lisa was praying. She was praying it was all a dream and that Tyson would get back up and laugh. That he would be fine. But it wasn't a dream. He knew it wasn't it. It couldn't be after all. Things don't happen like this in a dream.

Only in nightmares.

"Tyson, Tyson!" She yelled as she rushed to her brother's side, shaking the limp form of the boy who she had been mad at for so long.

Yes Lisa Manoban, the kid who everyone thought was easy going and who liked everyone and everyone liked, had hated her only brother. Well half-brother. She hated how her dad, her dad who she had only met once when she was eleven had sent Tyson to live with her and her mom even though he must have known it would strain her mother and make her work harder. She hated Tyson and his innocent ways of thinking and how he thought everything was right in the world.

Everything wasn't right in the world.

He shouldn't be so damn happy while Lisa wasn't. How could he smile when all Lisa wanted to do was throw something at someone? Sometimes she wanted to strangle the kid.

But not now.

No. Looking at Tyson as he lay in the middle of the road in lower Seoul with blood pooling out of his head from an unknown source and his face turning a sickly white, Lisa wanted nothing more than to take back every single terrible thought, every single time she wanted Tyson to disappear.

But she couldn't.

And here she was, facing the hard, cold truth right in the eye.