Chapter 14: Second Chances and Yellow Potatoes

When everything goes to hell, the people who stand by you without flinching –

they are your family.

~Jim Butcher

------------

Jennie sat on the in the small café's booth, her ankles crossed behind one another. Jisoo had to leave to get back to her apartment because she had a date later that night so she had left Jennie alone in the freezing cold wind in Central Park. She had found a small café where she had instantly hurried to in hopes of getting out of the wind.

She reached into the satchel which was on the seat next to her and pulled out her notebook. It was a simple notebook with the words: Hello Sunshine in green bold letters. But she had scrawled many quotes on the front and the back with a Sharpie. Some people liked to doodle all over their notebooks, Jennie covered them with words.

Flipping open her notebook, she found the page where she had left off on the story with Yeon-joo and Kang Chul. She grabbed her pen from her bag and uncapped the pen. With her peppermint mocha at her elbow, she put her pen to the paper and continued on in her story:

Yeon-joo nervously tugged at the mask that covered her face. What was the point of a masquerade dance at the school? Honestly. It was stupid. Do-yoon had promised that he would meet her here but with all the faceless people in the crowd she was having a hard time telling who he was.

It was almost terrifying when you saw the masks. She realized just how little she knew everyone, she couldn't tell who they were by their laugh, or their eyes, or the way they spoke. Everyone was a mystery to her. It made her realize that maybe no one knew who she was behind her silver mask.

Her mom had went all out with her dress. It was her last Prom after all… and probably her last dance in general. Her mom never said that, but Yeon-joo knew she was thinking it. Her visits to Dr. Kang's weren't all that bad, thanks to the upbeat way Dr. Kang acted, but Yeon-joo knew she wasn't getting any better. She really didn't want to be here, but her mom pressured her into it so here she was, standing nervously to the side, tugging at the dark purple dress. It was funny, usually she would be asked to dance every dance but now that no one knew it was her… well they just seemed to think of her as a loner.

Masks did that to you.

"Do you want to dance?" Yeon-joo whirled around with the grace of a ballerina from all those dance classes when she was younger.

A boy with a jet black mask was standing in front of her, his face also shadowed by the horrid lighting job that was done in the gym. He had the deepest brown eyes that Yeon-joo had ever seen. They were warm and inviting. He smiled at her, his hair tousled and messed up as if he didn't care about it, but Yeon-joo knew that he had probably spent at least half an hour trying to get the perfect "tousled" look.

"Huh?" Yeon-joo asked, great job Yeon-joo, way to make a brilliant first impression,she thought dully to herself.

"Do you wanna dance? It must be pretty lonely just standing over here in the corner," he said, smirking at her.

"You have no idea," Yeon-joo muttered…

Jennie paused. It was the moment she had been most excited for, but she was almost nervous to write it. When you got to the big parts in the story, it was hard to actually write them. You had waited so long for them that writing them down almost seems…wrong.

Jennie sighed and reached into her bag for her i-pod. She slipped her headphones into her ears and turned on the radio. Music was a lot like writing, in fact there were very few differences. Writing was emotions and passions on paper, music was emotions and passions set to a tune. And both understood the importance of words.