Chapter 24: Thanks

"What are you doing for Thanksgiving?" Lisa asked Jennie as they were curled up on Jennie's couch in her small loft, watching Mary Poppins which she had finally convinced Lisa to watch with her through much pleading and arguing.

"I don't know, Jisoo has to go to some dinner thing with her dad and Yoon-gi and Lacey are getting together that night so I guess I'll order Chinese or something and eat it here and watch movies," Jennie said, shrugging her shoulders.

"You're going to be alone on Thanksgiving?" Lisa asked. She couldn't remember a Thanksgiving where she hadn't been with at least a friend. "That's ridiculous."

"It's better than working on Thanksgiving," Jennie said. "I used to have to work at the coffee shop down in San Francisco when I lived there all Thanksgiving."

"Why the hell would you do that?"

Jennie shrugged again. "I needed the money and my boss would pay double for holidays because no one wanted to work them. So I worked every holiday so I could get out of there as fast as possible."

"And your parents didn't even care?"

"Why would they care?" Jennie said. "I was kind of the family's black sheep and dark secret. My stepmother wouldn't introduce me to any of her friends ever because she was so embarrassed that her husband had an affair."

"Technically it wasn't an affair," Lisa pointed out as she ran her fingers through Jennie's curls. Lisa had realized that she really liked doing this. It was a nice feeling when she touched Jennie's curls, it almost calmed her down when she was angered.

"Sue didn't care, I wasn't her kid and that was enough reason for her to treat me like I was dirt," Jennie said.

"That's not a good enough reason," Lisa said.

"You try explaining that to her," Jennie snorted. They were silent for a few minutes, sitting there and watching the movie play.

"Well on a happier note, I know what you're doing for Thanksgiving," Lisa said cheerfully.

"Do you?" Jennie asked.

"Yep, you're coming with me to my mom's house for Thanksgiving," she said.

"Lisa, I can't just interject like that, I mean your mom doesn't even know who I am," Jennie said.

"Exactly, she wants to meet you. I think that she already likes you from what she's seen on the TV. And plus you won't be interjecting into our dinner, Chaeyoung and some of my friends are coming over anyway. What's one more plate on the table? We usually have a bunch of leftovers anyway. Come on Wise Girl, I know that you want to, I can see it in your face."

It was true, Jennie did want to go badly. She wanted to experience a family, and feel loved. And she most definitely did not want to spend her Thanksgiving at home alone with a box of take out Chinese food.

"Okay, as long as it's okay with your mom," Jennie said.

"Great," Lisa grinned.

•°•°•°•

Excerpt from The Letter Writer by WiseGirl36:

Yeon-joo sat on the hospital bed, her legs crossed and her head in her hands as she stared at Kang Chul with her caramel eyes as he sat across from her in the hospital chair, staring right back with those dark brown eyes which had made dozens of girls swoon.

"What do you want to do with your life?" Yeon-joo asked. Kang Chul had continually arrived at Yeon-joo's hospital room every day after school.