Chapter 27: One Last Chance

Months After Previous Chapter

November

"See you tomorrow Jennie," a medium height girl with curly dark hair and porcelain colored skin said as she hugged Jennie. They were in a large lecture hall, the bell just ringing to signal the end of the school day.

"See you Joo-hyun," Jennie said, smiling at her new friend. Bae Joo-hyun was in her Classical Literature class as well as her Creative Writing class. The two of them had sat together the first day of school and had instantly hit it off. Irene was younger than Jennie was, she was twenty to Jennie's twenty two years of age. But she was smart and more mature than many other people Jennie knew that were older than her.

"Have fun working on finishing up The Letter Writer," Joo-hyun said as she pulled on her backpack. Jennie had been shocked to discover that Joo-hyun was an avid fan of the Letter Writer. In fact she had been one of Jennie's biggest fans. She had nearly fainted when she discovered that Jennie was in fact WiseGirl36.

"Haha thanks," Jennie said, rolling her eyes. She had signed on with her first book deal with HarperCollins Press to publish the Letter Writer. In was due to come out next April. She had finished her rough draft and had submitted it to Odysseus who sent it to someone to proof read. The woman sent it back to Jennie. The manuscript looked like it had been stabbed with a knife and had bled all over.

But there was a note attached to it from the woman who had proof read it:

Ms. Kim, I have read many, many manuscripts in my life but none have touched me as yours did. You have a gift Ms. Kim and even though it looks like I have destroyed your masterpiece, it is still intact, it is my job to cover author's works in red. But your story is perfectly beautiful. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I hope to read more from you soon.

Jennie was on the final stretch of fixing her book. The final copy was due to be sent back to Odysseus in three days and Jennie could feel the pressure building.

"Well I'll see you tomorrow," Joo-hyun repeated as they walked across KU's lawn towards the street where Joo-hyun who would part from Jennie and go to find her girlfriend, Kang Seulgi who also attended KU and Jennie would head towards the subway station where she would take the subway towards Central Park to go to Veritas where Jisoo would be waiting for her.

"See you Joo-hyun," Jennie waved as she headed towards the subway station. She headed down into the dark station, her hand clutching her laptop case.

After a quick ride to the station near Central Park where Veritass was near, Jennie headed out of the subway station, blinking a little to try and get her eyes adjusted to the sunlight. She tugged her scarf tighter around her neck and put her hands in her pocket and walked towards where Vertias was located.

Inside there were the usual number of college students there, studying for tests or writing papers. Veritas was a common place for the college students, with free wifi and comfortable seats. Jennie found it to be one of her absolute favorite places to work.

She ordered a caramel latte and then spotted Jisoo sitting in one of the corner booths, her feet propped up on the table, her spiky black hair giving her away. "Hey chu," Jennie said, sliding into the seat across from her best friend.

"Jendeukie," Jisoo said, nodding to her friend. "How was class today?"

"Boring as usual," Jennie said with a yawn. "Irene drew quite a lovely picture of our Classical Literature professor today, she has a way with capturing the true nature of people."

"That girl is amazing," Jisoo said. "We need to get together again."

"I'll ask her when she's open," Jennie said, taking a drink of her latte. Her phone buzzed in her pocket and she pulled it out. There was a text from Mino.