Chapter 9: Paper Faces on Parade

Author's not so exciting note:
Lisa is really showing a different side of her in Youth With You season 2. Can't wait for sunday to have a marathon of episodes.. Have you watched it?

------------

Jennie had never felt so awed in her life.

As she stared at the massive mansion in front of her, she felt small.

Very small.

And Jennie hated feeling small. It made her feel insignificant, something she hated more than anything in the world. She didn't want to be insignificant. She wanted to be important. She wanted to be something or someone.

"Breathe Jennie, breath," she whispered to herself as she steeled herself to walk up to the entrance to the house. Thankfully Jisoo was at her side so she didn't have to do it alone.

"Don't worry, it'll be fine Jendeukie," Jisoo said, squeezing her hand. But even Jisoo didn't look so sure. Jennie could tell. She prided herself in being able to read her best friend's facial expression even if she was wearing at large black mask over her eyes.

At least Jennie thought she looked pretty. If she thought she looked pretty than it would be easier to make it through the night.

Yoona was able to work magic. Literally.

She had found Jennie a long, floor length navy blue dress which apparently set off her eyes and her hair as according to Jisoo and Yoona. It was one shoulder and swept up around the waste where all the material gathered and cinched together. She had to admit it was beautiful. And the fact that she had gotten it free… okay so Jisoo wouldn't let her leave the store until Jennie agreed to let her buy it for her… made it even better. She usually didn't accept charity but since she decided that Jisoo was forcing her to come to this dance as moral support, Jisoo might as well buy her dress for her.

Jisoo looked gorgeous in her strapless black and white dress which fell to her knees and poofed out because of the large about of tulle that was underneath the black skirt. The top was white with black swirls and the bottom was black with white swirls. However the part of the outfit which was Jennie's favorite was her converse.

Only Jisoo could pull off black converse at a Masquerade party.

Jennie had tried to get Jisoo into a pretty, dark pink dress but Jisoo had drawn the line. She refused to even go near anything pink. But Jennie wasn't giving up, not in the least bit. She'd see her best friend in pink if it was the last thing she'd do.

The duo walked to the front entrance. "Apparently there used to be a massive mob of news people here to try and sneak a view of all the famous people. Dad didn't have a problem with it, it was good publicity but some of the people that came threatened to sue so he put the gate up around the property," Jisoo said, nodding to the tall wall around the massive house.

Jennie was still amazed by the architecture of the house. Corinthian columns, strong support at the bottom, dome tops and that was just the outside, she couldn't wait to see the inside. A massive drive way circled around in front of the house in a horseshoe shape and cars were parked tightly into spots. All of the cars were worth more than Jennie's loft, a reality she was coming all too familiar with.

That's what happened when your best friend was rich.

Lifting her skirts up, she followed Jisoo up the grand stairs which had a fountain every three steps. It seemed a bit too over the top for Jennie and if she had designed it, she would have put only one in the exact center of the stairwell to the front of the house but make it very regal and beautiful.

The doors to the mansion were wide open with men dressed in such a way that they resembled penguins to Jennie stood guard. They didn't even bat an eyelash when Jisoo swept in, her head held high. Jennie hurried behind her, hoping that she looked half as confident as her best friend.