Join me at the top then

I saw him.

His eyes stuck to me like glue from across room, never losing sight. His black hair fell just short above his eyes that I came to learn were dark and ominous. You might even say he was handsome beyond his bloodstained hands and uneasy presence that would absorb you. His presence felt toxic and the eyes that watched my every move made me uneasy.

I was ever so intrigued by this lifestyle. How women could smile with their painted red lips and watch their husbands sell their souls with the sins they commit. When money can hide any and every problem and buy the most expensive things, when money gives you power. Wouldn't anyone do the most unspeakable things for it?

I did not like this game that everyone around me liked to play. It always seemed like they were winning as I just watched from afar. But then again here I was, still in the game. It was the most glorious time to be alive in 1970 for the drug lords. Business was booming, the money came in billions and the parties were extreme.

I finished the burning liquid in my cup and made my way past the dancing people towards him. His eyes were still stuck on mine and I could not read them. "Vanessa, didn't think you would be here tonight." his voice always would hit like a ton of bricks. He never spoke unless there was meaning behind his words, he always had a plan and paths to get there and would never stray away from it. "You should know I never miss a celebration, especially one of yours." I spoke dryly as he eyed me. "I also know you would never come here without a hidden agenda Vanessa." The way he said my name made me shiver. "It seems like you're suspecting me of something."

His name was well known. He owned most of the cartel and everyone who was involved in it. The most powerful man in the country you could say. Women wanted him, men wanted to be him. With more money than he knew what to do with he spent it lavishly dressed in designer clothes with mansion estates and sports cars. He scared me. He could read anyone like a book and saw right through every lie you could ever tell. I thought he was a genius, of course you have to be to run the game. The most desired man on earth. Mark Lee.

I raised an eyebrow at him, a playful smirk resting across my face. He stared at me like he was reading my exact thoughts and his cold expression suddenly turned upward. "You want something." He stated, arms crossed. As he ushered away the lingering people around us he sat in the chair as if it was a throne and he was king, hell he almost was. "I want to leave."

He almost laughed at that statement. "I mean it." I looked away. As I watched the people on the dance floor I felt disgusted. They were high on drugs and life with dirty secrets beyond their surface. I didn't grow up to be this way and to be frank my destiny was not to end up following around drug cartels for money. I got into the business unlike the other women upon me that choose this life of entertaining the dirty men around them. Mark Lee brought me into this life.

Mark was all about distractions and I so happened to be in front of him when he needed one. The press surrounded Mark when I first met him. He grabbed me in the crowd so the tabloids would read 'Marks new girlfriend' and not 'Mark is now out of jail'. He was smart indeed but his little distraction brought me into the mess of money and lies. I lost myself in this idealistic world.

 "I am tired of being at the bottom of all this. Watching people ruin their lives. " I shook my head and sighed. "I cant handle it." It was true. Everyday I watched as people wasted their lives on white powder pretending it was their only remedy.

He smiled, a chuckle leaving his mouth as he spoke. "I'm tired of your poor girl attitude." he stood up striding over to me as a stumbled back. His hand reached the small of my back as the other traced my jaw. "Your tired of being at the bottom?" I was stunned not moving a single muscle in my body. His head itched closer to my ear as he whispered. "Join me at the top then."

"I need someone. Someone like you." he let me go from his grasp to sit back down. A sly smirk rested on his face as I was too afraid to move. shocked from his actions and words I was still looking at him blanked eyed. "Listen. Business is not slowing down anytime soon and I need a cover." he sipped at his drink. "A cover?" I asked. "I need someone to help me close deals and make my actions look-" he paused. "Less suspicious."

My mind was blank. He has pulled this trick before but that was for the mere purpose of good press not related to business. His eyes were still locked on mine, burning through the back of my skull. I was intimidated. "How would I be able to do that?" A smug look took over his face. "A girl helping run a cartel and closing deals is never heard of. You will be less aggressive, someone more approachable for the men." His drink was now empty. He slammed the empty glass along the wooden bar and it shattered in his hands. He didn't flinch, he didn't even move.

I scoffed. "So I would be yet again another pawn in your game? Why me?" As much as I did not know what went through his head, I knew he never made rash decisions and never did not have a plan. "This 'game' Vanessa you're in it. Locked in it forever. You will never leave it and i'll make sure of that. You've been around long enough and know too much." His voice was stern, yearning to stop explaining what his mind had to offer. 

"I picked you for a reason." He lifted up his blood soaked hand and looked at it and back up to me. I was confused. "You are different. You're not soft. You are looking at this blood right now and have no sense to help me, you don't even squirm at the sight. I've watched you and I can feel it Vanessa." He paused and looked at me. "But most importantly out of all women I know you will not mix up business and pleasure."