Spilling coffee

*One month later*

The money Mark left me paid for my rent, groceries, and left plenty to spare. I was beyond thankful for this action as it gave me a better reason to continue living. Mark was out there watching me and that made me want to live with what I had to the best of my abilities. I didn't want him to see me sad when all he wanted was for me to be happy. I didn't hear from Mark again after I received the envelope and saw no sign of him. I was now aware of my surroundings. I would look out for him whenever I left my apartment or work, but to my disappoint I never saw him. I was curious on how he knew I needed money. I wondered how long it took him to find me in this remote town. Even with negative thoughts that consumed my mind everyday I continued on. I went to work everyday to get verbally abused by Donny and returned home every night with a smile on my face. It is funny how distance does make the heart grow fonder. I didn't know what I had until I lost it. 

I poured coffee into a mans cup and smiled politely at him. "Let me ask you something sweetheart." His voice was husky and I cringed at the pet name he called me. The men that came to this small diner were all truck drivers. They were all pigs who liked to belittle women and make them uncomfortable for their own pleasure. "What is it?" I asked sweetly and almost gagged at myself. Donny made sure every waitress that worked here wore there uniforms tight. He also made sure we all were in his words 'sweet like sugar.' He wanted us to be perfect southern belles for the greedy men that stopped in here. "How does a pretty girl like you end up in a shit hole like this?" His accent was thick but I still understood him. I honestly wanted to ask myself the same question. I paused for a moment and thought about it. "What you don't speak little darling?" His hand reached out to grabbed mine. I immediately was revolted by his action and brought my hand to my side harshly. "Now let me ask you something. How does a man like you turn into a disrespectful pig?" I took the coffee pot in my hand and overfilled his cup. The coffee spilt onto the table and landed in his lap, it was burning hot. He jumped up in shock and cursed loudly, catching the attention of the whole diner. "Oops, i'm sorry. You might want to dry off a bit." I innocently smiled, sarcastically, and left his table in furry.  

"Vanessa!" Donny yelled at me as he slammed shut the cash register. I sighed and rolled my eyes. "To the back now!" He harshly spat at me as I mentally prepared myself for his hurtful words. I was used to Donny putting me down. He made me feel like the most worthless person in the world. I began to walk to the back when the diner door opened. The bell rang from the doors because of the sudden movement and I looked back to see the customer come in, as I was the only waitress working today. I looked at the man who came in and the coffee pot in my hand dropped to the floor. My eyes went wide at the person in front of me. It was Taeyong. "What the hell are you doing." Donny yelled and threw his arms up at the mess I made. "Im sorry, there is a customer I need to take care of." I spoke slowly as my eyes never left Taeyong. 

"Vanessa." He softly smiled at me and I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. I walked over to him and threw my arms around the man. He stumbled back in surprise and chuckled at my actions. "Let's sit down, we need to talk." His voice filled me with anxiety and I looked back to Donny, who was cleaning up my coffee mess. "I'll be taking my break Donny." I said and he mumbled something under his breath annoyed, ignoring me. Taeyong and I sat down at a booth as I continued to stare at him with pleading eyes. "How have you been?" He asked me and I raised my eyebrows at him. I realized Taeyong was the one looking over me for Mark. Mark didn't have the time to check in with me. "I think you know how I've been." He laughed at my words. "You have always been a smart girl. I have been following you around. They were Marks orders." He raised his hands up in defense and I looked away at the mention of Marks name. "He wanted to make sure you were doing well Vanessa. When I realized you werent I told him and that's why I dropped off the money at your door." I nodded at his reasoning and remained quiet. "I've missed you at the house Vanessa." 

"Why are you here? Did Mark send you?" I asked confused and he shook his head no. "Mark does not know Im here." My heart sunk that he didn't send Taeyong to see me and I frowned. "I'm here to tell you some news. Haechan is dead." His voice was low as he looked around to see if anyone was listening in. I gasped at the sudden news. "He was in a car accident. A fatel one." Taeyong did not have a look of remorse on his face and I wondered if he wanted Haechan dead all along as well. I nodded and looked away feeling uneasy at this new information. "Mark wants to bring you back. Even though I think it is a terrible idea. The whole cartel thinks you're dead." He paused and I stared at him wide eyed. "If you come back people will freak out. They will believe Mark is hiding more stuff from them, which won't be good." I stayed silent and let Taeyong continue. My heart skipped a beat at the mention of me coming back but I composed myself. "I wanted to talk to you so you know what you're getting yourself into, If  you go back of course." He looked nervous, almost like he wanted me to refuse the idea of going back to the cartel. 

I felt the sense of power again. I wanted to make people nervous again. I wanted to make them crumble, just like what I was doing to Taeyong right now. "I have never been one to avoid trouble. It follows me Taeyong." I smiled wickedly at him and he gulped. "I wanted to ask you before Mark had the chance to make a move, so I could advise him against bringing you back. I don't want to see him hurt if you say no Vanessa." Taeyong licked his lips as he awaited my response. I looked around at the diner and brushed off my uniform. I despise this place and what my life had become. I wanted to be on top again. I wanted to feel the wealth and power over take my body again. I wanted to be with Mark. My hands reached the tie on my apron and I took it off. I smiled and took a deep breath in. I stood up from the booth and strutted over to Donny. "Well this is it. Im tired of this place and you. Im quitting." I threw my apron at him and gave him a side smile as he looked at me bewildered at my sudden confidence. "Let's go then Taeyong. We have work to do."