The wolves

The smile on face was from pure joy and excitedness. I ran my hands down my black sleek dress that reached the ground. My story was clean and polished. Mark made sure we left no holes in our plan to bring me back publically into the Cartel. I was simply hiding from danger and Mark had no idea where I went, so I was pronounced dead for unknown circumstances. This story was golden in Marks eyes because it showed he never lied to anyone, although people may have their suspicions. We were about to enter a party hosted by a higher status man in the cartel. Everyone was going to be here, making it the perfect time to show my face again.

"Are you sure you're ready?" Mark looked at me intently and I nodded. He searched my face for any regret, almost as If he thought I would change my mind last minute. "You realize when we step into that room there is no going back. You will be stuck here forever. There won't be another chance for you to escape." His face was stern and I smiled up to him, grabbing his cheek softly with my hand. "I'm aware of that Mark. I will never want to escape again anyways." I licked my lips and took a breath, preparing myself for what would happen when those doors open. Mark grinned at my words and snaked his hand around my waist. His lips reached my forehead and my eyes fluttered shut at his action. "Alright then nessa. Time to face the wolves." His words were short but hid a deeper meaning. 

The doors opened and the music that was muffled just moments before bursted into my ear. I gulped and Mark led me inside. We were at the top of a staircase, overlooking everyone on the dance floor below us. Mark and I paused, deciding against descending down the stairs together. The look on my face held a mysterious power as I looked at the people below me. I smirked lightly when one by one people started to turn towards me. The music was low as peoples whispers over took the large room. The frightened looks on their faces were mixed with shock as they looked at me. I was back from the dead, a walking ghost they assumed. A small chuckle came out of my mouth as I looked to Mark. "I would hate to leave everyone with this painful question in their minds." My voice was elegant but hid a sense of evil as I continued. "Their neck's must hurt from looking all the way up here. Shall we go?" Mark chuckled at me and raised his eyebrows, nodding. 

As we descended down the stairs people stepped back in horror at the sight of me. My stride was light yet strong and the whimsical look on my face was enough for people to stare at me wide eyed. "It is nice to see everyone again." I made my voice loud enough to reach everyone and smiled. "I am terribly sorry for my disappearance months ago. I don't mean to alarm everyone." I lied. I loved everyone's gaze on me as they were in fact alarmed. I fed into the attention I was getting and loved every second of it. "I am back now, stronger, and ready to begin this life again as I was never really deceased. Obviously." I laughed and multiple people wearily followed me, laughing at the comment I made. Everyone's eyes were now on Mark and I looking for answers. "Vanessa escaped trouble without anyone knowing. It may have not of been ideal but she saved her life by doing so, along with many others." Mark told our story and people nodded along and looked at me with passion, almost like I was a hero. "She has since returned and claimed back her position with honor. I hope you all welcome her back and enjoy the rest of the evening." Mark said and eyed the crowd. People knew not to question Mark, unless they wanted to get on his bad side. Mark didn't like questions, nor did he like when people pried into his information. 

Everyone nodded and said a cheers, wearily looking at me. Although they looked suspicious, nobody said anything. I took a deep breath and enjoyed a glass of champagne. I felt accomplished, like I just won the first game. I looked towards Mark who stood at the bar, feet away from me, talking to another man. My head tilted sideways as I looked to him. I wondered if I was still just a pawn in his game. If he were to ever let me in and take me out of his game would this be how it felt? Free, blooming, and incharge. As I looked to him smiling my heart felt full. I took another sip of my drink and turned around, gauging the crowd. Things seemed back to normal as people continued to dance and laugh. 

"Vanessa, darling!" I twitched at the sound of the voice speaking to me. It was June and her posse of women behind her. I let out a breath and faked a smile for the women. "Hello June, girls." I beamed at the group of prestigious women in front of me. "I am so glad to see you are here and healthy!" Her voice was high pitched and the girls nodded their heads aggressively, agreeing with her. I paused for a second and scoffed. I was not one for allowing people to be fake to me. I was back now and needed to set an example. I was not the old Vanessa who wooed people with her money and looks. They knew I had money and power, but that is all that they cared for. These women who acted as my friends did not care for me at all and I was over it. I didn't want to act on top anymore because frankly I was and I needed to show them I was in fact strong. 

"I would like to believe all of you, but I can't" I grinned and took another sip of my drink. "My disappearance also acted as a test to see who my real acquaintances and colleges were. Mark told me you did not show up to the memorial June." Her face turned white as I spoke. "Vanessa, I don't know what to say." Her words were stuttered at my sudden confrontation. "What? Did you expect me to not know?" I bit my lip and snapped my fingers for a server to bring me another glass of champagne. "You all don't care that I am here today. You care about what party favour I brought and what designer made my dress tonight." I let out a breathless laugh as the women in front of me stayed silent. They looked side eyed to each other as if they had no words to say. "I frankly don't like posers." Other than myself . I giggled at my thought and smiled at the ladies. 

"You all look so beautiful tonight! There is no need to spoil the party." I urged them to leave me be and they began to turn around. "Oh and tell your husbands i'm ecstatic to be back in business and I can't wait to see them!" I winked to the ladies and turned around. They gasped at my manner and murmured to one another. As I walked away I felt the power inside of me boil. A smirk rested on my lips as the wolves around me were finally starting to understand that I was alpha. They couldn't use me or be fake to me anymore, I wouldn't let them. I was back from the dead and ready to thrive under the circumstances.