First deal of many

"So Mark are you going to introduce me to this fine lady?" The man was tall and had a deep voice that boomed around the common room we were in. He was handsome with his dark brown hair falling over his eyes and his dimples that showed when he smiled. We entered the concrete building and were lead to a quiet room with couches and a desk. The workers in here were very intrigued as they saw me on my way here with Mark. A woman walking into a meeting was probably a sight they have never seen before. I sat on the couch beside Mark giving him a glance. "Her name is Vanessa. I guess you could say we are partners now." Mark spoke easily, eyeing the man to see his reaction. "Business partners? Your dad would have been disappointed with this news." The man paced around the room, his cane tapping the ground ever so slightly. His grey suit fit him perfectly, it made him look professional beyond his personality. Mark didn't seem to have a response. Could it be thee Mark Lee was taken back from this man's comment. I decided it was my turn to speak for Mark. "On the contrary Mr.-" I paused as I didnt know his name yet. I gave him an innocent smile in which he returned. "Call me Johnny."

"Oh Johnny, you could be surprised with what I could do." My tone was playful and it seemed to have lighten up the room as the man smiled at my comment. "I see." He winked at me and I gulped trying to hold back the disgust I felt in my soul. Mark secretly gave me a smile and turned his attention to Johnny. I felt accomplished for a split second. "I brought the paperwork all we need from you is an agreement and a signature." Mark spoke up and the man frowned. "You just got here Mr. Lee and I just met your so called partner. Have a drink before we get into the dirty work." The man made his was to the table filled with bottles of rum and whisky. I could feel that Mark was uncomfortable having me here with him. He would tense when I opened my mouth or shuffled in my seat. I felt another opportunity to intervene and have Mark stay on his toes. I was ready to do just about anything to get Mark to be proud and smile at me like that once again. He was fueling the fire I had in me.

I got up from my seat and made my way toward Johnny. "He's right Mark this is a good day right? Let's rendezvous first." My stride was slow and steady. Johnny looked at me with curiosity written all over his face. I grabbed the bottle from his hand, skimming my fingers ever so lightly along his hand to do so. I poured the liquid into his glass and slowly raised it to him making eye contact. I could see it, he was falling into this trap. He felt smitten and taken aback due to my moves. "Thank you Vanessa." I gave him a side smile as I poured a drink for myself and Mark. As I handed Mark his drink he looked amazed and yet finally relaxed with me being in the room. "Now boys, I personally don't really like to waste too much time." I took a sip of the whisky in my glass and set it down on the table next to me. Johnny chuckled at my words and sat waiting for my next move. He watched me like I was just entertainment. "Johnny we brought here today a term of agreements about the costs of exporting out products." He raised his eyebrows at my words, not expecting me to get into the business ends of this meeting.

"You are an amazing women." Johnny shook his head back in forth in disbelievement. His words made me smile at him. I brought the papers to where he was sitting at a desk. After reading the first term of agreement he instantly frowned. "I did not want to split the taxes evenly, it doesn't make sense." Johnny set the papers down after looking at them and looked toward Mark still sipping out of his glass. "What doesn't make sense is that I had to clean up your mess last month at the border and paid double for that then what you would be paying here." Marks voice was stern. He crossed his legs on the couch and watched Johnny's expression turn distasteful. "You wouldnt of even known about that bust at the border if your little rats didn't tell you. I would have handled it on my own." Johnny seemed angry and Mark didn't feed into him as he said, "But you didn't handle it in time. That is why I had to deal with it." 

I was silent as the room grew tense and the staring between the two men grew toxic. "This is beyond dramatic guys." I laughed, catching both of their attentions. I was nervous on how to intervene in this argument. I didn't want to upset either end of the party but I also could not have just sat still in the middle of this argument. "Johnny just think of this as an equal deal. Mark helped you last month and now you would be helping him by splitting this cost." I made my way behind his chair and brought my hands to his shoulder brushing them for a moment. My head reached his ear as I whispered, "It doesn't seem so bad when I put it like that does it huh?" Johnny let out a long breath. "Shes right, but were calling this even right now and never bringing it up again." The man must of felt very embarrassed by the border incident he caused. 

Johnny grabbed a pen and looked at mark who still sat on the couch unbothered. He smiled sarcastically at the sight of johnny and me. "Were even." With those words Johnny signed his name. I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding and beamed at the signature. I did it. I finally understood why Mark wanted someone as a partner. He wanted a peace keeper to persuade the men around him so he could say whatever he wanted, knowing there was little consequence he had to clean up. I turned to Mark whose eyes were already on mine. I couldn't read his expression. It seemed like he was thinking deeply about something. Like he was making another plan in his head. "Vanessa I have to say it is my first time making a business deal with a woman before." Johnny shook his head as if he couldn't comprehend the situation and a little laugh escaped his lips. "First deal of many." I reached toward his hand for a handshake which he delightedly returned.