Your greatest weakness

My eyes opened wide with fear. The loud shot of a gun awoke me in my room. I slipped myself out of my sheets and made my way to the door. The commotion outside my room was enough to make me want to crawl back into bed and hide. My head peeked outside my door to find a strange man on the far right of the hallway. "Where are you!" He screamed and my mouth went dry. Whoever this man was, he was surely not invited into Marks house. In his left hand he held a gun. His movement was shaky as he frantically twisted his body around in different directions. I've seen this behavior before. He was clearly on drugs and in that moment I felt a pang of guilt. My contributions to this industry helped create this sight. My guilt ran short as he finally made eye contact with me. "You." His tone was deep and frightening. He walked toward me slowly. "You're his new toy." The man raised his eyebrows and chuckled. "Mark!" I screamed and looked around, begging for his help. The mans pace sped up and I ducked in my room. He shook my door handles as I tried to muster up all my strength in my body to keep it closed. My strength wasn't enough. 

He opened the door and grabbed me. I screamed and thrashed my body around trying to break free from his grip, but it was no use. "Where is he?" His gun reached my temple and I flinched. Distress took over my body as he yelled at me. "Huh, tell me where is he!" My body shook as tears spilled down my face.  "I don't know." I cried as I truly did wish I knew where he was. I wanted him to be safe, far away from this man, but I longed for him to come save me. The gun was cold against my forehead and left a metallic taste in my mouth as he massaged it all along my face. "Mark!" My voice cracked in desperation as the man dragged me into the hall. 

"Let her go." My eyes rose from the wooden floors to mark. He stood tall as he lifted his arm toward to man holding me. A gun rested in his hand and it looked almost too comfortable there. "So now you decide to show up." The man chuckled. Mark stood still and looked at me. His eyes held a worrisome look. It was the first time I saw Mark like this and it made me scared. "Are you upset? Do you think i'll hurt her?" The man pushed the gun deeper into my skull and the pressure was unbearable. I shrieked in pain at the harsh contact. Mark jolted like he was going to attack him but he stayed in his place. He was never one to be rash about anything. "Let her go now." His jaw was clenched. "I came here just for you but I think I just found your greatest weakness." The man laughed sarcastically. "Who sent you?" Mark urged the man to reason with him. "I think you already know who did." 

Mark grimaced at the man's response. Who was this person who wanted to get to Mark? Who in their right mind dared to cross the boss? "I'll give you one more chance to drop your gun and leave." Marks voice was rough as he glared at the man holding me. "Or what?" The man laughed again but was cut off by the sound of a shot. My eyes shut tight as I braced for whatever was going to happen to me. A loud thud was all I heard next. I was suddenly released from the man's aggressive grip and I no longer felt the cool metal against my head. My eyes peered open to see the man lying on the floor. Blood was leaking out of his chest and soaking his shirt. I gasped and held my hands to my mouth. I have never saw a dead body before this. His eyes were shut and he laid lifelessly on the wood floor I walked across everyday. My body suddenly felt weak and my legs gave out on me. I collapsed to the floor in shock as I looked up to Mark.

He looked calm. His arms fell to his sides and he took a deep breath. He looked towards me with a sympathetic look plastered all over his face. "Are you okay?" He asked me. His voice was low and soft. My mind couldn't form words as I continued to stare at the mans cold body. A single tear left my eye. Mark came to my side, picking me up and moving me away from the man's body. He held me close to him. I rested my head on his chest and let out a sob. My body was shaking with wails as he silently stroked my hair down my back. I was completely in shock. I should of felt scared that Mark was more than capable to handle this situation. I should of felt scared by the way he so easily took that man's life. I felt like the right thing to do was run far away from here, far away from Mark, but I couldn't move. 

Mark held me tight. His strong arms compressed me into him as I cried. I wanted nothing more than to disappear right there in his arms forever. It was the only comfort I had in that moment. His lips reached the top of my forehead and he gently rested them there. "You're okay now." He mumbled against my hot skin. It felt like an eternity standing there with him before I nodded and pushed him away from me. It seemed Mark would have stood there with me forever if I wanted to. I regained my breath and stood as strongly as I could. "We need to clean this up." My voice cut in and out as I spoke. "You don't need to do anything." He sighed and called for the maids who were hiding in their living quarters. He looked at me with sympathy in his eyes. "Go with the maids, they will take care of you." His head turned towards one of the maids. "Fetch every single security guard on the outside property. They will all be fired and replaced." Mark took on his powerful role again as he shook his head. He held no more sympathy as he looked at the man lying on the floor with disgust. "Call in my guy to clean this mess up." He spat and left the dark hallway. I was left with two of the maids who tugged on the sleeves of my top, urging me to leave the premise with them. "Miss we will set up a hot bath for you." I couldn't bare to take my eyes of the body. "Miss lets go and make some tea." They urged me long enough for me to follow them.  I should of felt scared or sad, but now I just felt numb. All I could manage to think about was hearing that man's last breath in my ear before he died.