【11】

𝕋𝕙𝕖 𝕨𝕠𝕟𝕕𝕖𝕣𝕗𝕦𝕝 𝕥𝕙𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕒𝕓𝕠𝕦𝕥 𝕥𝕚𝕘𝕖𝕣𝕤

Dinner was both awkward but nice, it was nice to have someone to talk to and to listen to other peoples conversations

Dinner was both awkward but nice, it was nice to have someone to talk to and to listen to other peoples conversations. That mostly being Benjamin and Rosie, Dylan just sat eating his food in silence not really contributing. We made eye contact several times, only ever lasting a couple of seconds though. Once we'd finished everyone put on their coats and boots ready to do the last minute jobs.

I noticed that i couldn't find my coat until it was pushed in front of me, Dylan at the giving end. "Here you go" he mused. I smiled in gratitude "Thanks"

"Alright so, Rosie, Evelyn and I will go to the Tiger enclosure where Eve can give Spar his medicine and Rosie and i can give them some water. Dylan why don't you just go the garage and make sure the lights are off in the side room?"

Dylan was quick to retaliate.

"Dad! I've got a sick amount of homework tonight. Dad!"

Mr. Mee wasn't having it "Get it done!"

Dylan left in a huff but made his way to the garage, Benjamin, Rosie and I stepped into the Tiger enclosure. But not before throwing Rosie over his shoulder and for her to let out the most angelic laugh any kid could have, it made me smile and warm with happiness.

Deciding not to do my usual introduction into the enclosure i stood back and let them take in this moment.

"Wow, they're so big up close" Rosie said in amazement.

I smiled at the amount of cuteness a little girl like Rosie can possess.

Going into my right pocket i pulled out the packet of new medication for Spar, while the Mee's were otherwise occupied filling up the water bowls i stuffed the pills into the masses of meat.

Walking over to Spar's indoor enclosure i noticed both of them came to watch the interaction. Spar was laid on his side looking at me with the highest intensity of fatigue causing a pang of sorrow to hit my heart.

Putting the bowl in i used slow and steady movements, even though i know that Spar would never hurt me. They didn't know that so i had to behave like a regular zookeeper doing their job, also if any of the others tried to do what i usually do, they'd definitely come out with a hand missing looking like Captain Hook.

After a few minutes, Spar still hadn't eaten the food. I crouched down keeping a reasonable distance to where it didn't look suspicious.

"Come on Spar, you gotta take your meds" Benjamin encouraged but it didn't work, Spar let out a wail of disagreement.

Even though i didn't want to believe it, i know what was coming, or what was close to coming. Over the past couple of weeks, Spar's health has deteriorated fast and nobody knows exactly how long he has left. It caused an uproar between the Staff and i, even though i knew what was happening to him i still had hope that he would pull through. Loosing Spar would be like loosing my dad all over again and i don't know if i'll be able to pull myself out of it this time, because Spar and my Dad were inseparable from the start, most of my memories of my dad included being with Spar. There wasn't a moment we didn't talk about him or be with him at least once a day, he's my best friend.

"He looks tired Dad" Rosie pointed out.

Pulling me back to realisation i felt wetness on my cheeks, it wasn't till i reached my hands up to my face to wipe the wetness away that i realised i was crying. I wiped them away quickly as i didn't want Rosie to see me upset and ask why.

"He's going to be okay, isn't that right buddy?"

Spar moved his head to look at me and i forced a smile.

"Hey there buddy-" He purred in delight at the sound of my voice. Moving closer to the bars, Benjamin made a sound of protest but i held my hand up "It's okay, he won't hurt me"Benjamin looked hesitant but didn't take any further actions to stop me when i put my hand through the bars to stroke his head.

He rubbed his head against my hand, showing his affection towards me and as a way of greeting.

"You've got to eat your meat okay? It's going to make you so big and so strong. I know you're in pain but please just do this for me, just for a couple more weeks. Please" i whispered to him that last part, not wanting Rosie to hear. I lent my head against the bars as i rubbed his head and behind his ears, Spar reacting to my actions letting out a purr of content.

"See that, he likes us" Benjamin tried to persuade Rosie even more. I looked at her and her eyes shined with curiosity.

"Can i try?" She meekly asked me with slight hesitance.

I looked over y shoulder to Mr. Mee who was looking back at me for validation. "You know him better than anyone, it's your call. If you think he won't be harmful to my daughter then i trust you"

I smiled greatly at him before turning to Rosie who's face lit up like a Christmas tree, putting Rosie in my lap for easier access i took her small hand and guided it though the bars.

"Easy Spar" i said to the big cat.

As slow as a sloth i eased Rosie's hand onto the back of Spar's head. "Gently" i said softly to Rosie not wanting her to make any sudden movements as she was new to this and also so she didn't scare Spar as he was also experiencing a new feeling of a stranger petting him.

So far though he wasn't showing any signs of aggression which was amazing and Rosie was following my advice and using the slowest and most soft gentle movements ever which i couldn't ask or more.

"Good job" it was to both Rosie and Spar for their amazing efforts. Looking over at Benjamin, i knew he was having one of those proud Dad moments.

Smiling back at Spar i gazed into his eyes

"Who's my big, brave boy"

A/N- NGL I WAS LOW KEY EMOTIONAL WRITING THIS ONE. I KNOW THE FEELING OF LOSING A PET ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU GO FROM SEEING THEM EVERYDAY TO NOT SEEING THEM AT ALL.