Chapter 19: Hisashi Midoriya

"Izuku... There's something I need to tell you. And... You're not going to like it."

*Shota's POV*

At my words, Izuku sat up from his relaxed position and looked at me with worry shining in his viridian eyes. "W-w-what is it, Dad, you're scaring me a bit." he chuckled nervously. I watched as he fiddled with his hands and looked around the room, avoiding my gaze at all costs. If anybody were to walk in, it would look like Izuku was guilty of something. I knew I had to tell the poor kid what had happened, it concerned his biological father after all. Izuku wouldn't enjoy the news I was about to give him, but I was a firm believer in not sugar coating anything. Sugarcoating this information would only harm Izuku, he was old enough to understand the implications of the news. I took a deep breath and slowly exhaled, preparing myself for the very negative reaction I was about to receive.

"Izuku, I don't want to tell you this in all honesty. You're my son and... telling you this will upset you." I ran my hand through my hair and sighed heavily, I was procrastinating, I needed to tell it to him straight. Adding in extra words and drawing out the truth would just bring him more pain. "Izuku, somebody has helped your father to escape from prison. He's on the run from the police and there is no evidence as to who has helped him, but the police and heroes are working to find and apprehend him." I explained bluntly. There was no way to say what I said in a kind way. I said it how it was, I just had to be ready to help Izuku through whatever was going to happen to him in the future.

*Izuku's POV*

I stared blankly at my dad. His words didn't register in my head. I didn't want them to register. Why did this have to happen? I had just broken the chains that bound me. I was free of his looming presence. But he just had to fuck it up. Fucking Hisashi Midoriya.

I sat in silence for a long time, just staring at the floor. Shota's words ricocheted around my head. My mind kept wandering to the words 'somebody has helped'. Hisashi had help. The son of a bitch had help. Nothing seemed real. He was supposed to serve his sentences for his countless crimes for the rest of his life. He was supposed to die in prison. I was never supposed to hear from him again. 

"Izuku. Problem Child. Please listen to me." I was broken reverie by my dad's voice calling out to me softly. I looked up with a blank gaze and saw that Shota looked extremely concerned. His lips moved but I didn't hear anything. It was all just white noise. Meaningless words. Words which would only be swallowed by the black abyss which is life. (sounds like something Tokoyami would say). "Izuku. Please listen to me, nobody is going to touch a single hair on your head, ok. Mic, Kayama, Emi and I are all going to look out for you. Nobody is getting near you. Your friends will protect you as well, ok?" Dad whispered as he hugged me tightly. Hearing his words, the dam broke and all of my tears began to flow from my eyes in torrents. I cried into my dad's shoulder. My body shook with each sob as I wailed in lament. Every tear that I shed relieved a minuscule fraction of the pain and fear which consumed me. Even just knowing that I had people to help me through the ordeal calmed my racing heart slightly. That night, I cried myself to sleep in my real father's arms. Just because I had the genes of a monster, it doesn't mean he's my real dad.

That night I had dreams about Hisashi finding me. He dragged me back to our old house by my arm, causing it to nearly be ripped from its socket. I cried pitifully with every step we took, getting closer and closer to the looming building which I associated with fear, pain and punishment. I tried to dig my feet into the ground but Hisashi just pulled harder, he was adamant on getting me into the house.  I tried to speak but no noise came out, the only noise was my crying. I was powerless, in terms of both my words and my ability to fight. I was the same weak little 7 years old I had been all those years ago.

When we made it to the house, the world whirlpooled and I was stood on the bottom step of the stairs looking into the kitchen. "Stop! Please Hisashi!" My mum's voice was full of fear as she begged. Hisashi made no noise as he started to beat her. I felt every blow. Every burn. Everything. I watched as my mum was beaten into unconsciousness and then to death. I watched and I was powerless to stop it. Once Hisashi was done with my mum, his murderous gaze turned to me. His features were dark and hard to distinguish, except for his eyes. Those eyes which caused fear to flow through my body. " I'm coming for you, Izuku." He hissed before the dream dissolved and I was left gasping for air in my room.

The dream wouldn't leave me for a while after that, I saw Hisashi's glowing green eyes and my mother's lifeless face everywhere I looked. I carefully got out of bed and walked over to the shelf in the corner of my room. I picked up a photo frame which I'd had even before going to live with Shota. My mum, Hisashi and I all smiled happily in the photo. It captured a perfect family moment, for a not so perfect family. I took the photo with me back to bed and looked at the smile on my mum's youthful face as I slowly fell back into an uneasy slumber.

The next morning, I woke up and stared at my ceiling blankly. I didn't have the motivation to get out of bed. My mum's killer was on the loose and I had no doubt that he would be ripping the world apart in his search for me. He would find me and punish me for getting him thrown away. For testifying against him in court. I knew that my family would keep me safe, but I feared for them as well. When Hisashi was angry, nothing on earth stopped him. "Izu..." a soft voice called from the door. I grunted in acknowledgement, the door swung open to reveal a softly smiling Emi, a tray with orange juice and English breakfast (eggs, bacon, hash browns, beans and toast. But NO black pudding.).  "Hi, Auntie Joke." I whispered in a hoarse voice, all that crying the night before had done a number on my voice. "You know we'll protect you, don't you?" she asked gently as she sat down on the end of my bed and placed the tray in my lap. I nodded my head as I stared down at the food before me. Usually, everything before me would have my made my mouth water and I would dig in straight away, but my appetite was shredded. "Look, Izu... I understand that hearing this news is going to affect you. That's perfectly fine, but... please talk to us if you need us. We all love you and it pains us to see you draw in on yourself." Emi said softly. I looked up from the plate and saw the worry and sadness shimmering in her eyes. I didn't want to worry anyone. I knew that would worry about me regardless of whatever front I put on. You can't just forget hearing what I heard and be fine with a snap of your fingers. My family knew that. They were all heroes, they've dealt with trauma victims, they understood. I was lucky to have such supportive people surrounding me. Auntie Joke stood up and began to leave the room when I grabbed her arm. She turned back and gave me a confused look, "Thank you." I whispered. She smiled at me sweetly before leaving me to slowly eat my breakfast. I wanted to push through the ordeal and show Hisashi that I was strong. I had completed the UA entrance exam. I was going to be a hero, despite my past, despite the chains weighing me down. I'm my own person.

Sorry, it's a bit shorter than usual, but leaving off with ' I'm my own person.' seemed like a good choice.  We've got over 1k votes! Thank you so much! I would have probably lost motivation to do anything with this book if it wasn't for every person reading, voting and commenting on it. So thank you. Anyway, thank you for reading and I hope you have a wonderful day wherever you are.