Chapter 54: The Camp Is On Fire

I think I might just post the remaining chapters today.

The next morning found the entirety of Class 1A stood in the clearing, rubbing their eyes tiredly and staring at Dad without actually seeing him. Why did we have to be up at 5:30 in the morning? "Good morning kids. Today the real training camp begins. Our main goal with this training camp is to get a full semester's worth of knowledge and experience into one week, so you'll be working incredibly hard. We're doing this so that you can obtain your provisional licenses. You'll need these licenses to combat the hostile forces growing out in the real world." Dad intoned monotonously. Everyone was wide awake at my dad's words. It was a surprise to all of us that we were working for our provisional licenses in our first year. And trying to get a whole semester's work into 1 week? That seemed impossible! "We'll start off with something you're familiar with. Bakugo, throw this." Dad said, throwing Kacchan a ball similar to that of our quirk apprehension test. "This is from the start of the year," Kacchan muttered staring at the ball in his hands. "Last time you threw the ball 706m. Throw the ball again and let's see how far you can get it." Dad said, waving his hand in the direction which Kacchan was to throw the ball. I'm sure Kacchan and Kyoka had noticed it as well as me, but Dad's tone seemed slightly smug. You wouldn't have noticed it unless you had known Dad for a while.  

"Oh, I get it! He's gonna test to see how far our quirks have developed since the start of the year! So smart!" Mina cheered. Many people around the classroom nodded in understanding and watched as Kacchan wound his arm back, preparing to give the throw his all. "GO TO HELL!" Kacchan screamed as he activated his quirk and threw the ball as far into the forest as he could. "What is with his weird battle cries?" Ochako whispered to me. I shrugged my shoulders and looked back to the front as Dad showed us how far Kacchan had thrown the ball. The entire class gasped at the number which flashed on the screen. 710m. "WHAT!" the class shouted in unison. "That's barely any improvement," Kaminari exclaimed, silenced by Kacchan's steely glare. "As Kaminari so delicately pointed out. Bakugo's score and quirk haven't improved a lot since the start of the year. In the past 3 months, there's no doubt you've improved, but that improvement was mentally and your techniques. This training camp we'll be focusing on improving your quirks. This will be harsh enough for you to wish for death. So you better do your best to stay alive." Dad chuckled humourlessly. A shiver ran through the crowd. None of us liked the way our teacher had said that.

I knew that Dad had told us that we would want to die after the strenuous quirk training we would have to go through, but it was a joke how hard we were being pushed. Kacchan was constantly putting his hands into a vat of hot water to open up his sweat pores so that he could continuously let off monumental explosions. Shoto was sat in another vat of hot water, continuously regulating the temperature with both his ice and fire. Ochako was rolling down the mountainside in a clear ball to get her inner ear canals used to zero gravity so that she didn't get as much nausea. Kyoka was hitting her earphone jacks off of the mountain to increase their strength, by doing so, she would have better audio quality. Iida was running around the mountain to increase his stamina. Yaomomo was stuffing her face beside Sato whilst continuously producing things with her creation quirk, she hoped to shorten her creation time. Everyone looked exhausted, but they kept going. They persevered and fought through their exhaustion to improve their quirks. I hated the way I was told to improve my quirk. It was painful and I knew that I'd barely be able to move afterwards, but I wanted to be a good hero, and you couldn't do that without experiencing a bit of pain. Dad was stood in front of me, holding a large screen. Without warning, he would show me a picture of something I had never seen before and I would have to transform into it. I transformed into random people, animals I didn't know existed, and random objects. Do you know how embarrassing it was to transform into the most miscellaneous objects? Have you ever been a bucket of paint? A crumb? HAVE YOU EVER BEEN A CRUMB OF CAKE? It wasn't fun. Not only was I transforming my body, but my dad would randomly throw objects at me for me to transform on contact. I was soaked with water from the one time I was thrown a rock and as soon as I touched it, it became water. It wasn't fun. Random objects were strewn around my feet from all of the rocks thrown at me which I transformed. Quite a few snakes, birds and spiders had been added to the forest due to my quirk training. The constant transforming didn't stop until lunchtime when we had a brief break before resuming our torturous training.