Chapter 41: Internship

In the two weeks leading up to our internships, I became a lot closer to Todoroki. I had a sneaking suspicion that Ochako and Kacchan had a part to play in our evolving relationship. They didn't tell anyone else about my crush on Todoroki (thankfully), but it was no less embarrassing when they subtly tried to push us together. Over the two weeks, Todoroki had eaten lunch with us consistently and even participated in the class's weekend fun sessions. Seeing him slowly break out of his shell warmed my heart. But that wasn't all that happened within those two weeks. The entire class decided who they would be interning with. Ochako was going to Gunhead's agency, Kyoka was going with Death Arms and Yaomomo was going to Uwabami's Hero Office. They were all respectable agencies, but I have to say mine and Kacchan's internship was with the most reputable hero. We were both interning with Endeavour, along with Todoroki. After becoming friends with Todoroki, he shared with me how abusive his father had been in his past and why he was so opposed to using his fire. The way he had described his home life hit too close to home. It may have been 8 years since I had last lived with the devil but I remembered my life before I was saved in very vivid detail. Even Kacchan, who was in no way a sympathetic person, listened to Todoroki speak of his home life and reassured him. Of course, the way he reassured Todoroki was by shouting at him and ultimately insulting him whilst trying to be kind, but I think the message got across.

"Have you all got your costumes?" Dad asked the class. Everyone nodded. We were stood in the train station, all of us had our costumes and were ready to go off and live in the real world of heroes for a week. "Keep those safe and never wear them without being accompanied by a pro hero, you don't have your provisional licenses so you're not legally allowed to wear them. Good?". Everyone nodded again before we were dismissed, everyone headed towards separate trains. I noticed that Iida looked really down. He had lookedinconsolable for the past couple of weeks, it had really concerned me. The previous night I had confronted him.

"Umm...Iida."  I muttered quietly. Iida looked up from his homework and smiled ever so slightly. "Ah, Midoriya! What can I help you with?" Iida replied, since the sports festival he hadn't seemed so uptight, he wasn't relaxed exactly, he just wasn't acting as if there was a stick up his ass. "Well... I just noticed that you've seemed a bit down lately and I wanted to check to see if you were alright. I understand your brother was attacked and I just wanted to tell you that I'm always here to help you." I placed a hand on Iida's shoulder to reassure him that I would help him no matter what and that he could trust me. Iida patted my back as he stood up. "Thank you Midoriya, but I'm perfectly fine. I appreciate the offer for help though." Iida replied as he left me standing by the sofa, not believing a word which he had just said. 

I watched as Iida walked away, head hung low, towards his train to Hosu. Something about the location of his internship seemed fishy to me. His brother was attacked in Hosu and the Hero Killer Stain was in Hosu. I had a suspicion that Iida was going to try and go after him, but I didn't want to believe it. Iida seemed so rigid when it came to laws, would he really break the law to try and get revenge? "Oi! Dumbass! Stop standing there and get on the fucking train!" Kacchan yelled across the terminal. His loud, aggressive voice caused heads to turn and people to murmur to each other. I didn't want to draw any more attention to myself, so I ran over to the train and jumped on just in time for the conductor's shrill whistle to sound through the air. 

The train ride was boring. Kacchan and I listened to our own music, even through my own earphones I could hear Kacchan's music blaring. It sounded like he was listening to very drum oriented music which made sense considering he was a drummer. I was listening to a playlist of the band's music as well as some popular songs. Listening to the music was giving me inspiration so I decided to try and write a song, though I knew that my attempts may not work out. Todoroki was passed out opposite us. We hadn't been on the train for 5 minutes before he was snoring away opposite us. Kacchan had wanted to draw on his face, but I had held him back and chastised him. He hadn't given up until I quietly commented that he would be ruining my chances with Todoroki. That had gotten him to stop climbing over the table and sit back in his seat. I knew that he wouldn't want to make me sad. I think Kyoka and I may have been Kacchan's only weaknesses. Me more so than Kyoka, given my past and all. So the train ride went on in silence. Kacchan and I listening to our music and Todoroki adorably scrunching up his nose at his dreams. I blushed as I stared at him. If he had been awake he probably would have been creeped out.