Chapter 49: Exams

I've already finished writing this book so I'll probably just post chapters randomly until I've finished posting. 

A week breezed past in what felt like minutes. Every evening was spent revising with my friends and revising on my own deep into the night. Kacchan and I had a bet on whether one of us would be able to knock Momo and Iida from the top two spots. I said neither of us could and that we should be content with 3rd (Kacchan) and 4th place (me). But Kacchan has ego problems so he said that he could easily beat at least one of them. We both put ¥6534 on the bet. Kacchan was pretty confident in his ability to outrank one of the two. It made me slightly nervous, but I didn't let him see that.

It was the day before the academic exams would begin, and I was eating lunch in the cafeteria. I was eating with the usual crowd of people; the Bakusquad, Yaomomo, Kyoka, Ochako, Iida, Shoto, Shinso and Tokoyami. Tokoyami had started sitting with us not long after the whole Stain incident. He didn't talk a lot, but when he did talk he mainly spoke with Kyoka and Shinso. They all seemed to have the same interests and vibes so it made sense. I was just eating my food peacefully and talking with Kacchan and Ochako when an obnoxious voice spoke up from behind me. "Well if it isn't the self-serving students of  Class 1A!" I sighed heavily and spun around to see Neito Monoma stood behind me, sneering down. The entire class had been in run-ins with Monoma. He seemed to have it in for us. 

For the most part, Class 1A and 1B were on good terms. Their class president Kendo was good friends with Yaomomo and Iida. I myself was friends with Yui Kodai and Yosetsu Awase. At first, Awase only spoke to me so that he could get closer to Yaomomo, he had a really big crush on her, but we became friends fairly quickly. I became friends with Kodai more on accident than actually seeking her out. She was a very quiet girl and rarely showed her emotions. Though she wasn't moody, she just didn't physically show her emotions. We lived fairly close to each other before we moved into the dorms and often walked home together in silence. It wasn't awkward and as far as I could tell she didn't mind my company. Not long after we began walking together, I finally spoke to her. She didn't speak much, but she was an excellent listener and we ended up becoming friends.

Back to Monoma. He was always targeting my class, most likely because we were known to the general public after the attack on the USJ and the 4 students on the podium at the Sports Festival all being from 1A. I'm sure if he wasn't so obnoxious I'd be able to stand him, but I just didn't like the boy. "What do you want Monoma?" I asked in a resigned tone of voice. Upon hearing me mention Monoma's name, everyone's conversations came to an end and they all turned to stare at Monoma. He shifted slightly where he stood due to all of the eyes staring at him. We had come up with the intimidation technique to try and get him to back off without actually arguing or fighting with him. "W-w-well..." Monoma stuttered before coughing into his hand to avoid our eyes. He seemed to regain his confidence because his gaze snapped back up to us, somehow he managed to look more conceited. " I just thought I'd come over here and show you losers what a real hero is supposed to look like. You're all nothing but attention seekers who couldn't defend a slug. We'll see how good you actually are when Class 1B beats you all in the final exams." Monoma cackled. He just kept aggravating us for no reason. We were all training to be heroes and all of the events which had happened to us were out of our control. Plus, in all honesty, his insults were weak. Who even calls people losers anymore? Pathetic. "Could you please just leave us alone, Monoma. We're all working towards the same goal and arguing amongst ourselves now will only hinder our work relationship in the future." Momo said. Everyone nodded along with Yamomo's statement, which made Monoma look like he was about to blow a fuse. He opened his mouth to snap back, but he was silenced by a swift chop to the neck by Kendo. "Sorry about him. He's getting stressed out about the exams so he's being more obnoxious than usual. I'll take him away now." Kendo explained cheerfully. She was dragging Monoma away when she stopped as if she had suddenly remembered something. "Oh! I almost forgot to mention. I know an upperclassman and he said that we'd most likely be fighting the robots from the entrance exam for the practical exam." Kendo notified us before continuing to drag a groaning Monoma away from our table.