28~Surreality Reality

➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶

➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶

"Oh thank God you're here." The moment Jungkook and I stepped into the hospital ward for critical care, my mom leapt from a chair in the hallway and rushed over.

The moment I saw her running towards me, arms wide to embrace me, my own emotions threatened to spill. Her eyes were red and puffy and clothes rumpled from sitting in the chair for so long.

"How is he?" I asked as she threw her arms around me, pulling me tight into her arms.

Jungkook respectfully took a few steps back to give the two of us some space. I'd been worried how my mom would react to his presence but she didn't even seem to notice he was there.

"The doctors said they stabilized him for the moment," Mom said tearfully, pulling back. "But he's in a very fragile state."

"What exactly happened?" I demanded, my voice cracking slightly. I refused to cry though. I hated crying in front of people. "Was anyone else hurt?"

"I don't know exactly." Mom raked a hand through her hair. "No one else was hurt but someone found the car smashed against a tree along the road."

I shook my head. A sense of surreality swirled around me. It didn't make sense. My dad had been the one to teach me to drive and he was one of the safest drivers on the planet. He was always getting on my case on seatbelts and speed limits. He'd never gotten a ticket in his life much less an accident.

"Can I see him?" I asked.

Mom nodded. "Doctors are only allowing five minutes though and no visitors other than family," she added, seemingly to notice Jungkook for the first time.

Jungkook, to my relief, made no comment and only nodded, taking another couple steps away from us.

"And honey?" Mom gripped my shoulders. "Just... be strong."

Be strong? I almost wanted to laugh right then and there. I'd survived several demented attacks from an unhinged greek demigoddess, an ocean demigod's whack powers, and four other egocentric and eccentric demigods. I'd gotten so caught up in a world where magic and fantasy existed that now that reality had struck me, it struck hard, like a punch to the gut.

I guess you can only dream for so long before you have to wake up again.

I left my backpack with Jungkook and then Mom took my hand. Together we walked towards a doorway, where most likely Dad was in. Right before we reached it I shot one last look over my shoulder. Jungkook was slowly sitting down in the plastic chair Mom had been in. His eyes were once again unfocused and the trickle of worry from earlier increased inside me.

But before my thoughts on Jungkook could go any further Mom and I entered. The room was a single square space with ugly yellowish walls and wooden floors. There was a stifling hushed atmosphere save for soft beeping and whirring. And there were countless machines.