41~ A Bargain Struck

➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶

➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶

You froze. Even Lalage seemed taken aback. Though her back was turned to you, you could see her shoulders stiffen. "Just like that?" She gasped, her voice high with incredulity. "You... you would agree just like that?"

"Why wouldn't I?" Jungkook replied cooly.

"I just... you liked that Mortal."

Jungkook burst out laughing. It was not a nice laugh. Everything inside you locked at the cold, humorless laugh that escaped him.

"You honestly thought I would fall for a Mortal?" He finally said, catching his breath. "Damn Lalage, I knew you weren't smart but you're more dumb than I thought you were."

The demigods all exchanged looks but all their faces remained impassive, revealing nothing. They were like seven angels with faces of cold beauty.

Lalage seemed to bristle a little at that and an ominous hissing rippled around the satyrs at their mistress being insulted.

"You were protecting her!" She fired at Jungkook. "I saw the way you held her, the way you talked with her. You gave her the ocean's amulet. You wanted to bed her."

"Of course I wanted to bed her," Jungkook snorted. "What else was I supposed to do? Actually try and be friends? Build some kind of serious relationship with her?"

Well then. You forgot how to feel emotions.

Jungkook leaned forward until his was face inches from Lalage's. "Mortals are so delicate. Their lives are like candles, you just breathe on them and they snuff out. You think I'd give up Olympus, give up all the parties, give up all the fun for a mere Mortal girl?"

"You threw my satyr out a window because of her!"

More hisses of hate rippled around the satyr and some of them shifted and took a couple menacing steps towards Jungkook.

At that the demigods shifted too. A chilly wind whipped through the alley. Shimmering mist began rising from the ground itself. Electricity crackled in the air. A warning.

The satyrs quickly shut up and stepped back again. Even with their numbers and Lalage on their side, they probably wouldn't win a battle against seven angry demigods.

"The Mortal means nothing to me," Jungkook said, looking Lalage in the eye. "She was offering me a place to stay until I found a way to get to Olympus, so of course I stayed with her. But now that I have a different, easier way to get back home, I'm ready to leave."

You watched as Lalage's back slowly relaxed and you literally sensed the smirk creeping across her face. "So. Since that Mortal means nothing to you— you wouldn't care if I killed her would you? Take off her amulet and slit her pretty throat."