Nine

MITCH

I was awoken by Scott whispering my name and shaking my shoulder, "Mitch. Your phone is ringing." I stirred and rolled over towards him.

He leaned over me, and I assumed he was looking at my phone to see who it was, "Mitch. Your mom called you."

"W-What time is it?" I mumbled. He looked at my phone again when it stopped ringing.

"3:45. Wake up and call her back. It has to be important if she's calling at this time." I rolled back over and grabbed my phone. I unlocked the screen and clicked on my mom's contact.

I put the phone up to my ear and rubbed the sleep out of my eyes as it rang, "Hello?"

"Mitch! Oh my goodness. Thank god you called back." Scott lowered his head back down and listened to what my mom was saying.

"What does she want?" Scott asked.

"Your sister is in the hospital. She's been in an accident." I covered my mouth as a quiet sob came out. A tear slid down my cheek.

I took a deep breath, "How serious is it?"

My mom let out a shaky breath, "Pretty serious," She sniffled and let out a small sob, "She lost a lot of blood, she has a big head injury. I don't know Mitch. They said to get all family here that we can."

"We're on our way." I hung up the phone and jumped out of bed.

"What happened?"

"My sister got into an accident. We have to go."

"To Texas? Oh honey, we can't."

"Why the hell not?"

"Dani has school. He can't miss it."

"Well, he can miss a few days. It's an emergency Scott. She could die!" Scott sighed as I put my head in my hands, sobbing uncontrollably.

"Honey. I'm sorry. We'll go. Get dressed, I'll get Dani." I nodded and continued looking for clothes as he walked out of the room.
------
I sat in the passenger seat as Scott drove to the airport. Dani was sleeping in the back since it was, oh, 4 in the morning. But it was fine because I needed to see my sister. I had to know she was okay, "Mitch?" Scott said, knocking me out of my thoughts.

"Yeah?" I said, looking away from the window and at him.

"Are you okay, hun? You seemed deep in thought." He grabbed my hand and linked our fingers together. He squeezed my hand as a tear slid down my cheek.

"Just thinking about my sister. I'm fine." I gave him a small smile and he turned back to the road.
------
SCOTT

We got to the hospital in Texas after a long flight. Mitch refused to sleep on the plane like Dani and I so he's very tired. He said he couldn't stop thinking about his sister so he didn't sleep. I feel bad for him. He's gone through so much in his life. So much that he doesn't deserve.

"I need to see my sister," Mitch said quickly at the front desk, "Her name is Lindsay Brown."

"She's in 215. But sweetie. I'm warning you now, don't get your hopes up." Mitch walked away and ran to the elevator, tears streaming down his face.

We got to her room and he didn't even knock. He ran right in to see his dad, his mom and her husband, Lindsay's husband and kid. They were all crying as they stared at her. She looked terrible, to say the least.

"Lindsay," Mitch whispered as he inched towards her. He grabbed her hand, and her eyes fluttered open, "I'm here."

"M-Mitch."

"I'm here Lindsay. It's okay." A tear slid down her cheek as she looked at her brother.

"Mitchie. I love you." She whispered to him. He let out a sob and covered his mouth when he closed his eyes. Tears slid down his cheeks, "It's okay Mitch. It's, gonna be okay." Her eyes fluttered closed and reopened again when Mitch squeezed her hand.

"Lindsay. Don't go. Please."

"Mi-"

"I love you. You're the best big sister any boy could ask for."

"I-I love you too. I love all of you." She looked around the room, when her eyes fell on me. She motioned me to come towards her, "Scott. T-Take care of Mitch, okay? Love him till the very end. Dani too." I started to cry as her hand let go of Mitch's.

"No!" Mitch screamed as her machine stopped letting out small beeps and just a long, annoying, beep, "No! Lindsay!" He grabbed her hand as the doctor and nurses came in, trying to rip him away from her dead body, "I love you." He whispered and kissed her hand gently.

The doctor had his hand on Mitch's back, leading him out of the room. His face was red and his eyes were filled with pain. He let out a small sob before falling down to his knees. He held his face in his shaking hands and cried loudly. I kneeled down next to him and held him as he cried.

"Shhhh. It's gonna be okay Mitch. Shhhhh." I rubbed his back as it shook from his cries. He nuzzled his head into the crook of my neck as his family members walked away from him, not being able to stand it, "Stand up Mitch." He grabbed my arms and slowly stood.

"What?" He asked, his eyes ripping my heart apart.

"Listen. She loves you. I love you. Your family loves you, Mitch. She'll be okay."

"Scott, it's not like she had cancer or was in pain for a while. She got into a fucking car accident. She isn't 'in a better place now' she was better here. With her damn family! So don't you fucking tell me to let it go, or stop crying. I'm in pain! I just lost my sister! The only fucking sibling I had! She's gone because some asshole couldn't stay away from his goddamn car when he was drunk. And now she left her husband and daughter behind. Without a mother, Ady will be in so much pain. Without any warning at all, she had her mother taken away from her! She's so young Scott!" I wrapped him in my arms as he began to cry again, "So young." He whispered before relaxing into my chest.

"Let's go." I whispered into his hair.