Twelve

MITCH

Scott and Dani were leaving today. I decided to stay until the funeral instead of going home and then coming back. My mom needs help planning it anyway.

We were at the airport, "Bye Daniel," I kneeled down to him and kissed his cheek, "I love you. Daddy will see you next week, okay?"

"Okay. I love you daddy." I kissed his cheek again, and pulled him in for a hug. I stood up and looked at Scott.

"Bye Scotty. Say hi to Wyatt for me." We hugged, until I pulled away. He grabbed my face in his hands and pulled me in for a kiss, "I love you."

"I love you too. Call me, a lot. Please."

"I will babe. I promise." I kissed him again and he grabbed his bags. I waved bye to Dani before they walked through the gate.
--
"Hi mom." I walked into her kitchen. She was baking today, of course.

"Hi Mitch. How'd you sleep?"

"Fine, I guess. I haven't slept without Scott in years. I missed him."

"I know honey. But I bet he missed you too. Did you call him?"

"Yeah. He was taking Dani to school."

"I see. Well, what's he doing today?"

"Hanging with friends. He's bored. I feel bad that I left them there by themselves. Poor Dani is gonna have to eat take out." She chuckled as she set a coffee cup in front of me.

"They'll be fine I'm sure. Have you guys thought more about having that baby?"

"We've been looking for surrogates. I'm picky about it though. I don't want some crazy woman carrying our baby, ya know."

"Yeah, I know. Well, take your time. Don't settle for less than you can get."

"We won't. I promise."

"Good. I hope it goes well. I want another granddaughter. There are too many boys around, all the time."

"What if we have another boy?"

"You'll send him back. No but, I hope you have a girl."

"Us too."
--
I figured since I was home, I'd visit my dad. I haven't seen him since the hospital, and we didn't speak.

"Hey dad." I walked in his house and he hugged me.

"Mitch. It's good to see you." I pulled away and he just looked at me.

"What?" I asked as I closed the door behind me.

"I don't know. You look, different."

"A bad different? I haven't slept well lately. It's catching up with me."

"I hear ya. Want some lunch? Since you gave me warning, I made some for you."

"Uh, sure. Thanks dad."

"No problem. It's nice to see you. I miss you when you're away. I heard you just got off tour." I sat down at his small table in the dining room. I looked around and noticed the house was unusually clean.

"Yeah. It was great."

"Your mother told me about that rude man. I saw his tweet to you. I guess he showed up at your signing?"

"He did, yeah."

"You didn't take it well?"

"No I didn't. How could I? He made me feel like total shit."

"Yeah. Scott told me. I'm sorry you had to go through that."

"It's not your fault, don't apologize. It's his fault for being an ignorant ass."

"You're right. Eat up, boy." I looked around again, he seemed to notice, "Looking for something?"

I shook my head, "No, no. I mean, I don't wanna be rude but, the house seems unusually clean. What's up?"

"I don't do anything to get it dirty. I haven't had to clean the house in years. You can't clean up a mess that isn't there."

"What do you do all day?"

"I do outside work. I work a lot at my job."

"You enjoy your job a lot?"

"Oh yes. I love it."

"That's great. It's nice to enjoy your profession."

"Like you." I giggled, taking another bite.

"Right. I enjoy my profession, a lot. You have no idea."

"I don't have an idea. But, I see you're very happy."

"I am. Yes."

"I was told you and Scott may try to have another kid?"

"Right. We wanna have a girl. And Scott wants to be the bio dad."

"Of course. I think that's great. I hope all goes best for you two. You deserve it."

"Thanks dad. I appreciate that."

"Well, you're my son, and I love you. More than anything, Mitch." I sighed, and stood up setting my plate in the sink.

My dad has never said he loved me more than anything. Only because he always had another kid and he couldn't have favorites.