Twenty-Seven

MITCH

I'm home. Finally. I had to stay in that damn hospital for two weeks. The kids and Scott came to see me a lot. Scott didn't count because he never left. Seriously. The kids stayed with Kirstie and Jeremy. I felt horrible because my daughter probably won't remember me when she's older. I haven't been in her life a lot since she's been born and I feel like a shit father.

"Go to bed Mitch." Scott said to me after I got done showering.

"I am. Trust me." I laid down in bed after removing my towel. Scott left the room after giving me my medicine. I fell asleep immediately.
-
"Morning sleepy head."

"Morning hun. How'd you sleep?" Scott set a coffee cup in front of me. I took a sip.

"Slept fine. Amber slept through the night. It was amazing."

"Amber?" Scott looked at me, worried. What was wrong?

"Yes. Amber, our baby." I shook my head. Amber. Our baby.

"Okay." I got up and went into a pink room. There was a baby laying in the crib. I walked over to the crib and looked at the beautiful baby sleeping.

I picked her up and cradled her in my arms, "I can't remember you." I whispered to the sweet angel in my arms.

I looked over in the doorway. Scott stood there bewildered. He wiped away his tears and walked over to me.

"She needs to eat." He grabbed her from my arms.

"Amber. Our baby girl. Scott." He turned around and stared at me as tears rolled down both our faces, "I-I don't know my daughter Scott. Are you messing with my head?! Are you?!" He shook his head and walked out.

I walked over to the dresser next to the crib. There was a picture frame containing a photo of myself, and the sweet baby. I looked so happy. Yet, I couldn't remember that baby. I tried hard to think. To think about anything to remember her by. Nothing.