Twenty-Five

MITCH

"Hey baby." I said to Scott when he walked down the stairs and kissed my cheek.

"Hey. How'd you sleep?" He sat down at the table across from me.

"I slept fine. How about you?" I slid my hand across the table and grabbed Scott's hand. He smiled before responding.

"I slept great. We all slept through the night."

"We all?"

"The kids, and you. So I did as well."

"Yeah. I didn't get up to puke once. But I puked before bed."

"Aww I'm sorry honey. Well, you have an appointment tomorrow."

"Chemo?" I asked, frowning.

"Of course. I'm sorry."

"It's okay. I have to do it if I wanna get better at all."

"That's the spirit. Now, I'll make breakfast. Go watch Spongebob with the kids."

"Yessir." I got up and went into the living room when Dani came out of his room rubbing his eyes. I went into Amber's room and grabbed her from the crib and we all watched TV as Scott made breakfast.
--
SCOTT

Mitch has chemo today. He's starting to become more tired. He went back to bed yesterday after breakfast and only came out once to puke. He didn't sleep much last night though. He puked a lot.

"It's okay Mitch." I said, rubbing his knuckles with my thumb as they started putting medicine in him.

"I'm tired." He said to me as he put his head back. He slowly closed his eyes.

"Mitch. Talk to me. Are we gonna go shopping tomorrow for Amber?" I rubbed his knuckles as his breathing settled. Damn.
-
"I'm going to bed as soon as we get home." Mitch told me in the car.

"Oh yeah? You slept through chemo."

"I'm so tired, Scott. Don't argue with me." I grabbed his hand off his thigh and held it on the console between us.

"Honey, I'm not arguing. I was stating a fact. If you're tired, you'll go to sleep. Sleep for hours and hours if you have to. I'll miss you, but at least you're resting."

"I don't care if you think it's okay. I wanna sleep forever. I'm always tired and I fucking hate it!" I let go of his hand and put it on the steering wheel, placing my elbow on the door. I didn't look over at Mitch at all.

We got home and before I could even turn off the car, Mitch got out, "Mitch!" I yelled to him as he walked to the door.

I sighed when I shut off the car and got out, following Mitch. He was already in the bedroom when I got home. Good thing the kids aren't home.

"Mitch?" I knocked on the bedroom door. When he didn't answer, I walked in. Mitch wasn't in bed, so I took a look around quick before walking back out.

I heard sniffles and sobs coming from the bathroom so I knocked on the door, "Mitch? Are you okay?" He didn't respond so I tried the door. This time, it was locked. I wiggled the door knob, "Mitch! Open the door!" He still didn't respond and I really started to worry, "Mitch! Please!" I stepped back from the door when I heard a thud. I wiped the tears from my eyes when I stepped back and ran into the door. It crashed down and I picked it up, set it up against the hallway wall across from the bathroom. I looked on the floor of the bathroom. Oh Mitch. I thought.