Two

Nights where my mom wasn't home are the best nights. But they're also the worst. To say the least, we have some issues. I do everything I can to be the perfect daughter, but it's never enough. Nothing is ever enough.

After I finished my homework, I went to get myself some dinner. I quickly reheated something questionable from the fridge considering it was my only option and ate it quickly. I washed my dishes and walked out to the garage where my car was sat. My brother did me the honor of totaling my car last year. I've been trying to fix it up since. I'd like to think someone would be proud of what I'm capable of. I've been getting a lot of help from Hannah's dad, but he's all of the help I've ever gotten.

From what I could tell, I was almost done with fixing my car. It was an exciting thought to be so close to finishing such a big project.

I tinkered around with the engine for a little while before I hit a roadblock. I grabbed my phone and called Hannah on FaceTime.

"Hey, what's up?" Hannah asked as she picked up my call.

"Hey, I have a question for your dad."

"He's actually not home. He's out filming a video with Jimmy and Chandler. You can call Chandler to talk to my dad."

"Thank youuuuuuu," I exaggerated.

"Can you send me the calculus homework? I don't get it," Hannah laughed.

"You never get it," I laughed, "but yeah, I'll send you a picture of mine."

"Thanks, I'll see you tomorrow," Hannah smiled at me before she hung up.

I found Chandler's contact in my phone and hit call. I wonder what video they're filming. It better not be something weird. I watched as my FaceTime call rang and I didn't think he would answer.

"Hey Marx, what's up?" Chandler asked as he answered the call, addressing me by my last name.

He was wearing a wet suit with something green all over him. Definitely something weird.

"What are you doing?" I asked hesitantly.

"We're filming a video and I'm trying to win," Chandler pouted.

"Hannah said you're with your dad, I need to ask him a question," I said with a small laugh.

Chandler handed his phone off to his dad and he smiled at me.

"Hey Myra," his dad smiled at me.

"Hi Mr. Hallow, I have a question. So, I think I've pretty much completely finished fixing my car, but it's making a sound that I've never heard before and I don't know how to figure out how to fix it," I rambled.

"Wait, really?," his dad smiled, "what kind of sound is it?"

"It's kind of like a clicking noise and I hear it when I start the car," I explained.

I put my key in the ignition and started my car, so he could hear the sound. We spent a few minutes diagnosing the sound and I fixed it with Mr. Hallow's guidance.

"Thank you," I smiled as I listened to my car running smoothly.

"Well now you're going to have to drive it over here so I can inspect your handy work in person," his dad laughed.

"What good is that going to do if you have to stay in a pool of slime?" I laughed, "I will drive over to the house tomorrow. Kick butt in this challenge sir."

"I plan on it, Myra. You did a good job on that car of yours, none of my kids can fix a car," Mr. Hallow smiled at me.

"Next I'll build you one from scratch if you don't win that challenge," I laughed.

"Deal," Mr. Hallow smiled before we said our goodbyes and hung up.

I sat in my car in the garage and just listened to the sound of the running engine. I did this. I rebuilt my car back from the pile of parts it was left in. I did this.

I wiped the tears from my cheeks that I didn't realize I had and turned off my car. After closing up the garage, I made my way inside and up to my room. I quickly took a shower to wash the sweat and grease off of my skin and fell back on my bed. I was exhausted, like always. Being on edge every second of every day is the most exhausting thing I've ever done.

I begged for myself to fall asleep, but no sleep came. Instead, I laid awake in bed until I heard the front door slam meaning my brother or my mom or both were home. Which is exactly where my nightmares begin.