Thirty-Seven

"Who are we!" Morgan called.

"Jaguars!" We all answered.

"Who are we!"

"Jaguars!"

"Who are we!"

"Jaguars!"

"Jaguars, get your head in the game!" We all cheered together.

As a team, we all jogged onto the softball field and started playing catch to warm-up. It's our first game of the season, and I vow to make this season about the enjoyment of the game instead of making it about winning. I still want to win, but losing won't make it the end of the world.

We were called to the baseline to stand for the national anthem, removing our hats while the music played. When the music ended, we all made our way into the dugout.

"We're on the field first ladies," Coach Stark smiled at all of us, "let's have a great first game."

"Everywhere we go.. people want to know..." the team started cheering as the starters walked out onto the field, "who we are.. so we tell them... we are the jaguars... the mighty, mighty jaguars."

I stepped up to the pitcher's mound and dug my cleats into the ground to make some small indents of where I like to stand. I adjusted my hat and waited for the catcher to be ready so I could throw a few practice pitches. Morgan walked out in the catcher's gear and met me at the pitcher's mound.

"Remember Cameron from Mercy West is afraid of the pitch, you throw a mean curveball so let's start this season off high," Morgan gushed.

"Trust me, we got this," I laughed.

Morgan jogged up to home plate and got down in position, ready for me to throw a pitch. I exhaled a deep breath before I wound up and threw the softball, hearing a loud pop as the ball collided into Morgan's glove.

"That's what I'm talking about!" Morgan yelled before she threw the ball back to me.

I laughed, loving Morgan's energy. She gives me big Hannah energy vibes and she's literally one of the best parts about playing softball. I threw another practice pitch before I signaled to the umpire that I was ready. Cameron from Mercy West was up to bat first, and I could see the intimidated look on her face even from as far away as I was standing.

I took a deep breath after I was signaled that I could throw the first pitch, and snapped the ball out of my pitch, hearing the ball pop against Morgan's glove.

"Strike one," the ump called.

I pitched again, once again earning a strike. I watched as Morgan held out the signal from where she was stationed meaning that I should throw a screwball. I nodded microscopically before I pitched. Cameron struck out, leaving us on a beautiful start to the season.

"That's the way, uh uh, we like it!" our team cheered from the dugout.

I kept pitching until three outs were reached and we could switch out. It was now our turn to bat. Because I'm number 14, I have a little while to wait until I'm up to bat. I sat down on the bench, drinking from my water bottle, enjoying the shade from the sun. It was finally getting hot outside, hot enough to go to my lake this weekend, but dark uniforms makes it feel so much hotter.

"Yo, Marx!" Chandler called from the outside of the dugout, holding out a gatorade for me.

"Thank you," I smiled.

"You're welcome, nice pitching."

"Thanks, and thanks for coming."

"Are you kidding? It's the first game of the season," Chandler smirked before he tapped the brim of my hat and walked away.