Thirty-Two

"Hannah, what does the greater and lesser curvature refer to?" I asked.

"The curves of the stomach," Hannah answered.

"Nice," I smiled, "Mia, what two bones make up the forearm?"

"The radius..." Mia trailed, forgetting the other bone.

"The radius and the ulna," Meredith answered for her, "bam, my point."

"We're studying, not competing," Hannah laughed.

"But we could compete," I laughed.

We had already been studying for about three hours, so why not mix it up a little to keep it engaging so we don't give up. I got up from the couch I had recently gotten and jogged over to my bedroom. I grabbed my tack board and brought it out to the living room. I quickly set up columns with questions from each subject.

"Teams of two?" Hannah suggested, "you read the questions Cap?"

I nodded and get ready to keep track of the points. Hannah and Mia played rock, paper, scissors to decide which team gets to pick first. when I make flashcards to study, I always dedicate one color to a subject, and I have hundreds of flashcards. This could be a long game.

"Algebra," Hannah commanded, picking the first subject.

I was in calculus, but all of the girls were in algebra 2. I made Hannah's algebra 2 flashcards to make sure she would study.

"Convert 45 degrees to radians," I read from the first card in the pile.

I watched as Hannah and Mia both wrote down on their notebooks, trying to solve the problem.

"0.785," Mia answered.

"That is not the correct format for an answer," I replied.

"Pi over 4," Hannah answered.

"Correct," I smiled, "Addison, which subject would you like?"

"Econ."

"Why do banks choose to borrow directly from the Fed?" I asked.

"They need additional reserves and cannot borrow from other banks," Meredith answered.

"Good job. Mia, which subject," I asked.

"Biology please."

"How many lobes does the liver have and what are they?" I read from the card.

"Four," Hannah answered immediately, "right lobe, left lobe, quadrate lobe, and the caudate lobe."

"Excellent," I smiled.

"Biology again," Addison smiled at me, "please."

"How many arteries flow blood through the human heart and what are their names?" I asked.

"The anterior and inferior vena cava," Addison called out.

"Another point to you guys," I laughed, "what subject Hannah?"

"Algebra," Hannah shrugged.

"What is the quadratic formula?" I asked.

"X equals negative B plus or minus the square root of B squared, minus four times A times C all divided by two times A!" Hannah and Mia called out simultaneously.

"Damn, okay," I laughed, "you're both correct. For a tie breaker, use the quadratic formula to solve seven X squared minus two X equals one."

They both got to work on the problem. I had to solve it too considering I just made it up out of nowhere as a tie breaker. I crunched the numbers in my head and waited for one of the girls to solve it.