Twenty

"Have a good break everyone, I will see you all in two weeks," Mr. Brooks smiled at us.

We are now officially on Christmas break, what am I going to do with two weeks without a place to go for eight hours a day.

"What are you doing tonight?" Hannah asked as I was packing my backpack to go home.

"Tonight's my first night back at work, why?" I asked.

"Hello, Christmas break bon fire, our class all gets together every year on the first night of break," Hannah scoffed.

"Honestly, I forgot that was thing we do," I laughed, "I will come to the bon fire after I get out of work. Text me where it's at?"

"Yeah, you better at least show up for a second, I'll be mad if you don't," Hannah threatened.

"Okay," I laughed, "I said I would stop by, jeez."

I drove Hannah home, dodging all of her attempts to get to come inside instead of going home to get ready for work. I drove to my house which was empty and dark, and I was thankful for it. I found my uniform in the back of my closet and got changed. The loose-fitting jersey and black jeans brought back memories, mostly bad, about this job. That's the thing about serving, you almost always get treated like shit by people who think they can treat you like shit because you make $3 an hour. Being eighteen severely limits what jobs you can get because you have no experience and most places won't hire you without experience, and so I'm a server. I found my nametag on my desk and grabbed everything else I needed for my shift.

I drove over to Overtime and parked my car in the back parking lot. I was greeted by all of my coworkers that I hadn't seen in months as I walked through the kitchen and out to the servers stand.

And so it went. Serving tables is pretty awful and I hate it, but I have to earn money somehow. Unfortunately for me, I more often than not get customers who get super drunk and I need to cut off. Which usually ends in those customers getting angry at me and leaving me nothing for tips.

"Myra, you have four more on the patio," Amanda, the hostess, smiled at me.

"Thank you," I smiled back.

I finished typing in the order for one of my other tables before I walked out to the patio to greet my new table. Of course, I saw none other than Chandler sitting at his favorite table with Zach, Jimmy, and Chris.

"What are you doing here?" I asked as I walked up to the table.

"Hannah said you came back to work tonight after she was done pouting about a bone fire," Chandler laughed, "so we came to give you a hard time."

"Of course you did," I rolled my eyes, "because you can't just let me suffer in peace."

"Never," Chandler laughed.

I took their order and walked away from the table to go get their drinks. I didn't have time for the guys antics right now, I have seven other tables on that patio.

Once I had each of their drinks as well as the few refills I noticed my other tables would need. I dropped off the drinks for the guys and started handing out the refills I grabbed.

"I didn't order this," an older man who was so drunk you could barely understand his words spat when I placed a glass of water in front of him.

I had only served him one drink, but he must have been drinking all afternoon before he came in. I wouldn't have served him at all if it weren't for the company policy that says you must serve at least one to anyone who is of age and orders a drink, no matter how drunk they must be when they come in.