Seven

Thankfully my bruises are mostly healed. I applied some light makeup over my residual bruises and finished getting ready for school. I looked over my reflection in the mirror. My hair was curled, and it laid over my shoulders. The contrast of my dark brown hair against my red long sleeve crop top and black jeans flattered my fair skin tone.

I grabbed my bags and made my way downstairs quietly. I made my usual stop to pick up Hannah and then went to the school. School was school. The same classes every day, the same mediocre lunch, the same homework and material to study, the same juvenile behavior from the majority of our peers.

I sat in Econ, staring down at my phone. I finished today's assignment ten minutes ago, now I'm just waiting for the bell. Until I got a text.

Chandler: How are you doing?

Me: I'm good, you don't have to keep checking on me

Chandler: I know, I want to. You're family, I want to make sure you are actually okay.

Me: I'm okay. The bruises have mostly healed and I'm fine. Thank you for caring

The bell rang, indicating the release from this classroom. I collected my books in my hands and made my way out to my locker. Finally, it was time for practice.

"It's parent's night tomorrow, I'm still missing two forms so please get those to me," I explained as I looked at each of the girls "and our tournament is home on Saturday, we all need to be here by 7am."

Parent's night is always different from the rest of the season. Throughout the season JV games are always on Thursday nights, and Varsity games are always on Friday nights. Parents night has both JV and Varsity teams play. JV plays first, after their games they do their parents assembly. Then Varsity does their warm-up, does their parents assembly, and then Varsity plays. The parent's assembly doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, but that kind of depends on who you're talking to. Each player gets a flower for each of the people that are escorting them out. Our athletic director announces the player and their escorts; freshmen first, then sophomores, the team captain, and then the coach. And the same goes for Varsity; juniors, seniors, team captain, and then coach. After everyone is announced, the coach usually says something about the team and then that's it. It's just something we do to show our gratitude for those who support us and for them to get to stand there very proud of us. Well, they're supposed to be anyway.

"You know, from what I've overheard Jimmy is going to be at the game tomorrow," Hannah smiled at me as we started practice.

"Hannah, you know that I love you, but can you please shut up about Jimmy. Nothing is going to happen, and there's no reason why it would."

"Myra, you're amazing and there are a million reasons why it could happen," Hannah sighed as we started practice.

"Nothing is going to happen, can we just practice?"

And so we did, we practiced and went through drills until coach released us to be done for the day. Andrew was waiting for Hannah outside of the locker room.

"I'll see you tomorrow?" Hannah asked me after she kissed Andrew's cheek.

"Yeah," I smiled, "have fun tonight."

I walked out to my car feeling lonely which isn't an emotion I was used to. I didn't really want to go home; my mom was still awake with a fifth of vodka in her hand when I left for school this morning. And that is the last thing I wanted to walk into today. But where else was I going to go.

When I pulled into my driveway, it seemed like all the lights were off in the house. I unlocked the front door and walked inside. It was quiet. I looked into the kitchen and my mom was sitting at the counter reading a book.

"Hi honey, how was school?" she asked when she saw me.

"It was good, mom," I half smiled before giving her a quick kiss on her temple, "it's parent's night tomorrow."

"That's wonderful, what time should I be there?"

"JV plays at 5, and they'll probably be done around 6:30 or 7, so I'd say to be at the school by 6:30," I explained, "you're sure you want to come?"

"Of course sweetie, it's parents night, why wouldn't I be there?" mom asked.

"I just didn't know if you already had plans," I lied.

My mom hasn't been coherent in two weeks, she isn't the same when she's drinking. She's not really my mom when she's drinking.

"I was about to make dinner," my mom informed.

I nodded and sat down at the counter next to my mom. I pulled out my calculus homework and got to work. I did the rest of my homework as my mom cooked dinner. Every time she snaps out of it and goes back to being my mom it gets weirder. It makes the times when she's not my mom so much worse because she's in there. She's still my mom but seemingly only when she wants to be.

While my mom was cooking, I took out my phone and texted Hannah.

Me: My mom is being my mom...

Hannah: Do you think she'll stay that way until after the game tomorrow night?

Me: I hope so, she is my mom and I'd like for her to be there. But we both know I can't hold my breath to count on it

Hannah: I hope she'll be there

That night I went to bed without the usual banging on my door or yelling from the hallway. Just silence, like a normal person in a normal house. But the silence made me nervous, is she sleeping or just drowning in alcohol?