Eighteen

I laid back on the dock and bathed in the warmth from the sun. Hannah was busy with a church group obligation and I couldn't be at home, so I'm at our lake alone. I didn't mind being alone, in fact I tend to work better alone. But that's probably because I've spent most of my life alone. When I got home from school, my mom was on a rampage, but that is more normal than not. I managed to get back out of the house with no more than a push down the stairs. At least there's no bruises on my face this time.

I was pulled from the serenity by my phone ringing. I looked at the screen and saw Jimmy's name. I smiled and turned over to lay on my stomach, so the sun wasn't in my eyes and I answered the FaceTime with a smile on my face.

"Hey," Jimmy smiled, "what are you up to?"

"Not much, how's LA?" I asked.

"Hot," Jimmy laughed, "we just started a challenge and I wanted to talk and maybe see your face. I like your shirt, by the way."

"Are you going to make a comment about it every time I wear some of your merch?" I laughed.

"Probably, I like when you wear it. Where are you?"

"My special spot," I answered simply, "maybe I'll bring you here sometime if you're lucky."

"Oh, so it's an exclusive spot. I have to get into the inner circle," Jimmy laughed.

I love his laugh. It's intoxicating.

"Something like that," I smiled, "so what's the challenge you're filming?"

Jimmy flipped the camera to show me a group of people standing inside a circle with some weighted vests on, "the last YouTuber to leave this circle gets $100,000 and a shoutout. They can't sit down, and we add more weight to the vests every two hours."

"Brutal," I laughed, "that's probably the closest YouTube can get to the hunger games."

"Maybe, but for now I am going to keep pushing that boundary and offer large amounts of money to the winner," Jimmy laughed, "it's nice to see you."

"You saw me the other day," I smiled.

"So? Have you heard anything back from Duke yet?"

"No," I sighed, "I got back my first letter about a scholarship this morning, but that's it so far."

"Did you get the scholarship?"

"No. It was the official letter from Duke's athletic department about being denied. Because saying it to my face wasn't enough."

"I'm sorry Myra, there's no chance that Duke will win a single game without you on the team," Jimmy smiled at me.

"Are you talking to Myra?" I heard Chris ask from the screen, "how is she?"

"Hi Chris," I laughed.

Jimmy turned his phone to show Chris, who waved at me and I waved back.

"You look happy," Chris smiled at me.

"You know, many people have told me that in the last few days," I smiled.

"It looks good on you," Jimmy smile at me, "I liked your brooding style when I met you, Chandler called it dark and stormy, but I like the happy too."

"Dark and stormy is my thing, it comes with the territory of a bad childhood," I laughed, "but you never know, I could still surprise you."

"I don't doubt that for a second," Jimmy smiled.

Jimmy and I kept talking for a little while without getting interrupted. I like talking to him, and I like being the person he wants to talk to. We said goodbye after a while, even though I could talk to Jimmy for hours. I don't know what we're doing, or what's going to happen, or if I should even be doing this at all... but I find it extremely difficult to not melt when we talk.

"I'll talk to you soon?" Jimmy asked.

"I will answer anytime you call," I smiled.

"I'm going to hold you to that," Jimmy smiled, "put a sweatshirt on. The sun might be warm, but it is November and I don't want you to get sick."

"Yes sir," I smirked.

Eventually, I have to go home. I'll have to face my mom and tuck her away in bed. I have some homework that's due tomorrow, so going home sooner is better than later, but I'm going to keep laying here anyway. This is a happy place for me, I don't have many of those, so I'm going to stay here. I want to bring Jimmy here one day, and I know Hannah won't care. Hannah and I have an unwritten rule, this is our special place but it's open to someone who is special to one of us. Hannah used to bring Andrew here. I've always preferred being here at night with the moon reflecting in the water and the most privacy you could ever get with an outdoor space. Maybe one day Jimmy and I will have our own place.