Fifteen

"So I talked to Tom," Hannah giggled excitedly as she stood next to my locker.

"Who's Tom?" I asked with a laugh.

"That guy I know from ECU!"

"Oh, and what did Tom from ECU say?" I laughed.

"Frat house party, tomorrow night. You're still coming with me, right?"

"I am absolutely coming with you," I laughed.

"I was hoping you were going to say that. I will have something for you to wear because I know you don't have anything," Hannah teased.

"Rude. Leave me and my t-shirts alone."

"You can't be mad at the truth. You will come over tonight, and we are going to have some fun and make some dumb ass choices," Hannah cheered.

"Just not too dumb. No drinking and driving, nothing that will get us arrested. Just dumb choices that are fun for the night," I instructed.

"I guess I can agree to that."

I laughed and grabbed my books for calculus, walking off in the direction of the classroom. While I was in class, my phone went off with a text from Chandler.

Chandler: I never meant to upset you. It was just a dumb joke, and now I've realized what I said and why it upset you.

Me: It was a dumb joke, and I have a right to be mad at you

Chandler: I know. I'm sorry.

Me: Just don't be such an idiot

Chandler: I'll do my best

Me: I want to know, did you actually think it wouldn't hurt me? Or were you trying to hurt me?

Chandler: I would never try to hurt you. You're my sister, you know that, all I ever want is to protect you.

Me: That's what you say, and I know you always used to mean it, but does protect me mean make me want to stay alone

Chandler: I don't want you to stay alone Marx, that is the last thing I'd want

Me: Then why didn't you tell me Jimmy wasn't interested when you knew I was.

Chandler: Why do you think he's not interested?

Me: Because it would be a joke to be interested in me, a totally hilarious joke.

Chandler: That is not true

Me: You and Jimmy made it seem and feel pretty true.

I turned my attention back to calculus and coasted through the rest of my day. School was easy for me in the sense that it was easy for me to fall into a routine of studying and completing assignments. It's what I'm good at, doing homework and keeping my nose in a book.

"Ready?" Hannah asked after the last bell rang.

We walked out to my car so I could drive us back to Hannah's place. We went straight to her room when we got to her house, making sure avoided any undesired conversations. The last thing I wanted to do was have a conversation or be interrogated by Chandler.

"How did you do on your English paper?" Hannah asked as she sat down on her bed.

"I got a 99," I answered, "I lost a point for forgetting a period in my bibliography."

"I will never understand your brain. That paper was impossible to write, how did you get a 99?" Hannah questioned.

"I did research," I laughed, "I'm not the top of our class for nothing."

"You've been the top of our class for as long as I can remember. You are unable to be anything less."

"I'm a pain in the ass like that, I know," I laughed.

Hannah threw a pillow at me and we continued this way for a while, being our normal selves again. Hannah has been handling this breakup really well, which not only worries me but also makes me proud of her.

"Have you heard back about your scholarship applications?" Hannah asked.

"No, but it's only been a week. Did you apply to any schools yet?"

"No, I've got time. Not a big deal," Hannah shrugged.

"Hannah, it's the end of November, you don't have as much time as you think," I laughed, "I applied to Duke months ago, and still haven't heard back. You need to apply if you want to go."

"You're right," Hannah sighed, "as always."

"Shut up," I laughed.

"My dad was telling me this morning about how he misses you playing piano," Hannah smiled at me.

"I haven't played since freshman year. I would love to get back into it, especially now that my volleyball career is over," I admit.

"You should, you were great at it and everyone always loved listening to you play."

"I don't have a piano, nor can I afford one," I laughed, "that's the only thing stopping me."

I was sitting at Hannah's window, working on homework, while Hannah avoided doing her own homework. I was in the middle of a calculus problem when my phone went off. Hannah had tagged me in an Instagram post.

@Hannahhallow: I can't get over this gem that I recorded of @myra.marx years ago....

I smiled at the video of me playing Someone Like You by Adele from a few years ago. I forgot about this video. I was playing the old baby grand that used to be in my living room.

@myra.marx: I can't get over how much I miss that piano...

It was my dad's piano. A black baby grand that I used to play all the time, my dad was the one who taught me to play and I loved doing it. I stopped playing after the piano broke. I rewatched the video again, and before it ended, there was a couple more comments on the video.

@chandlerhallow: I vote she starts playing again

@mrbeast: I'd love to hear her play sometime

I smiled and replied to Chandler's comment.

@myra.marx: @chandlerhallow buy me a piano and we can talk about it