S I X

The four of us talked for two hours at Java. We laughed, and I learned more about Cooper and his joking side. Apparently he was a bit of a prankster and has pulled some pretty savage pranks on them (his words, not mine). When I pulled out my phone, I realized that I had two missed calls from my mom and five texts. "Crap" I mumbled. 

"What's wrong?" Grayson immediately asks. 

"Oh, my mom has been trying to reach me. One second" I said as I stood up to stand in the corner so as not to disturb their conversation. Cooper was still laughing about one of his pranks where he dyed Axel's hair pink in his sleep.

I called my mom back and she immediately picked up. "Thea?"

"Hey, Mom. Sorry I didn't answer you, I'm at Java with-"

"Thea, where are you? I've been calling you and your class ended hours ago! You should have been back!"

"Mom, as I said, I'm at Java with some friends that I made."

My mom sighs over the phone. "Okay, you didn't tell me and I got worried. And I have to leave in an hour for work, so you need to watch Evie. Can you please come home now?"

"Crap, I forgot you were working today. Yeah, I'll head over now. I'm sorry."

"It's okay, sweetie. I'm glad you're meeting new people. Just let me know when so we know who's watching Evie, okay?"

"Sounds good" I nod, even though I know she can't see me. "Love you."

"Love you too, honey."

I hang up and slowly walk over to our table. Grayson is staring at me, again. I feel like the entire time I've been here, all Grayson's done is look at me. Not that I mind, because I've been doing the same to him, but at least there's a reason for my staring. He is literally the most attractive person on the planet. Every girl in the coffee house, and some of the guys, have been looking at him. He commands attention. Whereas me, I'm just a tiny shy girl with average looks. I'm nothing special.

"Hey. So, I have to head home now" I say as I grab my backpack from the floor and place it on my shoulder. "Thanks again for inviting me, Cooper. I really had fun. It was nice meeting you Axel, Grayson" I say as I nod at them both. I shyly wave to Grayson and go to leave when I feel Grayson grab my hand. "How are you getting home?" he asks, not letting go of my hand. 

"Oh, I live kinda close so I'm just going to walk" I say to him. "Nonsense, I'll drive you" he says as he stands up and gathers his coffee cup that he hasn't thrown away yet.

"You really don't have to. It's not that far of a walk. And how will Cooper and Axel get home?"

"I'm driving you, end of discussion. I'll pick them up on the way back" he says, almost like it's an order.

"But what if they don't want to wait-"

"Thea" Grayson says, looking directly in my eyes. His hand goes to my cheek, and his thumb lightly traces it which sends more tingles through my body. 

"Okay" I say. Well, it comes out way more breathy than it was meant to, but around Grayson I find that I'm not really the one in control. He smiles so widely when I agree, then he places his hand on my lower back. 

"See you in a bit" Grayson says to Axel and Cooper. I shyly wave at them both.

"Bye Thee! Now I have Axel all to myself!" Cooper says as he jumps into Axel's lap, causing him to let out an 'oomph.' I giggle as I'm led out of Java, Grayson's hand warming my back from the cold. With Grayson right next to me, I barely notice the chill in the air. As we walk to the parking lot, I silently pray that Grayson doesn't have a motorcycle. Those things are so dangerous, and even though it would thrill me to ride one, I don't think I want to right now.