F I F T Y - F I V E

1 MILLION VIEWS ARE YOU GUYS FOR REALLLL

THANK YOU ALL!!!!

The first thing I feel is the pounding of my head. Then the soreness in my left side. Then the tightness in my throat. Even with my eyes closed, I can see the fluorescent lights through my eyelids and I immediately know where I am. The semi-rough bedsheets underneath me are the same bedsheets as the ones in the pack house infirmary. 

I find myself in this room more often than I should- once after the vampire attack, then when I woke up from the nightmare spell, and now I find myself here again.

The circumstances that brought me here are clear as day in my mind. I remember the blood, Eli's lifeless eyes staring at the ceiling, Grayson's pleas that I be spared. My eyes flutter open as I try to gauge my surroundings. I immediately see my mother and Evie sleeping together in the bed next to mine- it seems another bed was added just so they could stay with me. 

The two of them are snuggling close to one another, Mom's arms wrapped tightly around Evie's frame as if she's going to disappear. 

I gently sit up, pain immediately spreading through my midsection and my head definitely has felt better. It takes me a few seconds to get my bearings and then I'm able to sit up straight without feeling like I'm going to tilt to the side.

I'm not stupid enough to attempt to stand like I did last time, but I still need to ensure that Evie's safe. She was with that evil coven for hours, and I have no idea what they did to her.

I grit my teeth as I lean forward to glance at Evie- she looks fine to me, but I know that emotional pain doesn't show in a physical sense. At least she looks completely unharmed- thank the heavens for that. 

The slightly squeaky hinges bring my attention to the door which is halfway open. My mate walks straight for me. The timing would be creepy if I wasn't already aware that he can sense my feelings and could most likely tell that I just woke up. 

Grayson brushes away a piece of knotted hair from my face as he hold my face in his hands. He sits down on the edge of the bed and immediately places his forehead against mine. He sighs heavily as his thumb lightly strokes my cheeks. I can see the dark bags underneath his eyes which hint at the number of hours he slept last night- zero.

His disheveled hair also told me that he had been running his hands through it, an action he does when he's stressed or lacks control over a situation. I can only imagine the stress he's been under in the past 24 hours- the entire pack must be worried, but especially Gray because I was almost killed- again.

The warmth that spreads through my chest is calming paired with the tingles I feel with every place skin touches skin. 

He was scared for me.

He doesn't say anything, he just remains close to me, reassuring himself that I'm alive and safe again. I'm the one who breaks the silence when I get past the distraction his proximity causes.

"Is Cooper alive? And is Evie okay? She looks fine, but psychological trauma can be deep-rooted and-"

"They're both fine. Evie was found coloring in a room by herself. She was a little scared after being portaled from the daycare, but she's young and wasn't harmed. Hopefully she'll forget about it as time goes on."

My shoulders sink into a more relaxed stance at the news. Evie is okay.

"Cooper..." Gray continues, "Cooper had us worrying for a moment, but he held on. He's tough. He's also too stubborn to die, it seems." The smile betrays Gray's true care for his best friend's mate. I sometimes forget that Gray and Cooper are also really great friends. They probably spent a lot more time together before I came around and stole all of his attention.