F O R T Y - F O U R

Another chapter! Sorry for the delayed post.

School's a bitch.

Xx alexia

I'm out of breath by the time I finish racing up the stairs and speed-walking to the infirmary located inside of the pack house. Standing guard outside of the room are Thing 1 and Thing 2- the same freaking guards I had assigned to keep me safe yesterday. They sure did their job well. I still managed to get snatched by a warlock- it worked out well for me, seeing that it was Eli. However, they kind of suck at their job. 

When they see me and their Alpha approaching the room, they slightly straighten their backs and face forward as if they were guarding Buckingham Palace. I roll my eyes and attempt to open the door, but freaking Jared puts his hand out to stop me from entering. I glare at him while crossing my arms.

"Let me through."

Jared looks past me, right at Grayson to get approval before allowing me entry. It's so frustrating that my boyfriend needs to give permission before I'm allowed to visit my sick friend. I'm supposed to be the Luna of this pack, and I may not know exactly what that means quite yet, but I should be respected more than this. I'll need to talk to Grayson about this, but now is not the time.

Once I enter the room, I realize it's the same exact same room I woke up in after the vampire attack. The same exact room where I finally put the pieces together of this huge werewolf-supernatural puzzle. How times have changed.

Eli is laying on the bed with an IV drip in as he lazily flicks through channels of a television opposite his bed. The sounds of the boring news shifts to background noise when he sees me. A smile takes over his face as he sits up a little straighter and beckons me over to him. I walk in his direction with Grayson on my tail.

I frown when I see purple handprints over Eli's neck, another reminder of what happened yesterday. I'm once again flooded with guilt just thinking about what my mate did because of me and how I forgot to check up on Eli sooner.

Tears flood my eyes at the overwhelming emotions. I know that Grayson can feel my emotions because of the recent marking. He places his arm around my shoulder in an attempt to comfort me, but I only shrug it off and go closer to Eli. 

Eli opens his arms for a hug and I happily hug him back. I can feel this irrationally anger pounding in my brain, so it's very obvious that Grayson is unhappy with my actions. He should be upset- I'm still not quite over what he did to Eli. Even though I love Grayson and let him mark me, that doesn't mean that I agree or even like all of the decisions he makes.

Before I know it, I'm sniffling and my tears are staining Eli's hospital gown. He pulls me closer to him so that I'm sitting on the bed next to him. He rubs my back while telling me not to cry and that's he's fine. I back away from him and inspect his neck. The bruises are fresh, so they look much worse than I imagined they would.

"I'm so sorry, Eli. I-it looks like it hurts really badly..." I wipe a tear that falls from my eye as I look over Eli's other injuries. He still looks like he was hit by a bus, but at least he's not as pale as he was yesterday.

The next thing I know, Grayson's hand lays on top of mine. In any other situation, I would have been grateful for his touch. Now, it's more painful for me because it reminds me that this whole situation is my fault. Eli would be healthy and happy with his coven if it weren't for me. I don't know what comes over me, but I slap Grayson's hand away from me.

He looks shocked, his eyebrows raising up so much that they hide behind his dark messy hair. I bet he was expecting that since I was newly marked I would become complacent- absolutely not. I'm not a werewolf, so it is possible that I'm not affected as much by the marking as Grayson is- hence his need to be constantly touching me all morning.