Chapter 20 - Panic

Peter's P.O.V

Friday arrived sooner than I would've liked it to come. I'd been spending most evenings at the tower and working on my suit or anything Mr. Stark told me to work on. To tell the truth, I have tried to, kind of, avoid the Avengers. Don't get me wrong, I still hang out with Mr. Stark, but... I just... I just don't feel like I deserve to be in their presence.

Sometimes Nat or Dr. Strange came down and we chatted a little, but I often kept to myself. Mr. Stark hasn't brought my Aunt up again and I'm scared he'll do something, so I have to remember to talk to him about that.

Dr. Strange was suppose to come with on the trip, but according to Mr. Stark, some evil dude called Dormammu came knocking on the sanctum door and and invited itself to duke it out with the wizard.

So only Mr. Stark and I are going to the conference. I'm a little nervous because 1. I've never really been to this sort of thing and 2. we have to fly there with a plane.

.

I walk out of my apartment with my small suitcase and my backpack and I see Mr. Happy stand outside, next to the car, looking at his phone. When he sees me, he takes my suitcase and puts it in the trunk and I get in the back, keeping the backpack close to my chest. When the car starts to move I take a deep breath, trying to calm my nerves. I mean, a part of me wants to go to this conference, but there'll be a hell lot of people there, which my introverted self would want to avoid at any cost and we have to fly a jet there.

I mean, what if the motors stop working? What if someone assasinates the pilot then attacks the passangers because they were working on something important so that person had to make it look like and accident?
Wait, I'm going a little too far. That's really unrealistic. But what if the it crashes and no one knows about it...

"We're here." Mr. Happy's voice breaks my train of thoughts and I look up at the tower. I quickly realize that we didn't go down to the garage. "Tony's waiting for you so get out."

I nod and step out of the car. I open the trunk with a swift movement and get my suitcase. As the trunk closes, Mr. Happy drives off and I stare at the car until it's out of view. With that, I force myself into the tower. But the moment I step in, I realize I have no idea where to go. Mr. Stark didn't say anything and Mr. Happy left me...

People in fancy suits walk past me, staring at me with both confused and condescending looks. I'm wearing a grey flanel with a jacket over and a pair of grey jeans and I look like a mini photographer. I feel very small compared to these... giants... literally. Or am I just short?

At that moment, a security guard walks over to me, looking intimidatingly large. He's glaring a hole through my head and I want to run away, but my feet stay put. 

"Young man, do you have the authorisation to be in here?" He booms and I feel like I'm being scolded for something I haven't done.

"I...uhh... Well... umm... Y-you see..." Damn my stuttering. Because I'm such a nervous reck, this dude is going to think I'm just another fanboy (Which I am, But that's not the point!). The point is. I did not think I'd be carried out of the lobby of the Avengers Tower today. Or any other day for that matter. Yet, here I am. This dude is holding me like a mere stick. I have no air to object so I just let it happen.

"Stop! Let go of the boy!" We hear someone say all of a sudden. The guard turns around and a moment later, I'm by an elevator. Not in the guards grasp. Someone's next to me and I look up at my savior, only to realize it's Mr. Maximoff. He has a mischievous smirk and he's looking down at me with an amused look. 

"Hey son. What did you do to get so popular with the guard? Already taking after your pops?" He jokes and my face gets warm from him calling me son. Then I remember the first dinner with the Avengers and I keep in a laugh from the memory.