Chapter 33 - The Perfect Dream

Peter's P.O.V

"Okay Peter... you gotta calm down. Just... Just breathe..." I take a deep breath, looking around and making sure no one is around to be worried about me. Why did I have to be so stubborn and stupid to follow after them despite being told not to?

I missed May and Ned and MJ and I wish I could just go back. I let out a heavy sigh and sit down on the ground, bringing my hands to my face. Suddenly, I hear someone getting close behind me and I quickly turn around.

"There you are," he says, "you can't just run off when we're here kid. Seriously. It's bad enough that our 'teammates' think they own the place..."

"Sorry..." I mutter, catching his attention.

"Alright, out with it. Better now than later."

"No it's just..." I start, looking away, "I don't know... Maybe I shouldn't have come, y'know?"

"You don't say..."

"Still! I have to do something!"

"Kid. This is scary and I understand why you're scared. But we're here now and... as much as I want to send you straight home, I know I can't."

I stay quiet, looking up at him. Then I stand up and nod. He puts his hand on my shoulder and squeezes it tight for a moment before letting go and tuning around, making his way back to the others.

I watch as his figure disappears and everything around me turns black.

.

.

I wake up with a start, nearly falling out of bed. As usual, I scan my surroundings, letting out a breath I didn't know I was holding when I know I'm still here.

My dreams have been getting more and more real, like they're more of a memory than a dream. But I can't seem to remember anything of what my dreams are showing or saying.

I bring my hands to my face, feeling sweat pierce my forehead.

"You know you talk in your sleep?" I hear someone say suddenly and I jump, frantically looking around my room. My eyes soon land on the person sitting on a chair in the corner of my room. "Oh, sorry. Did I startle you?" Stephen asks, putting away the book he was holding.

"Uhh... Just a little..." I mumble, letting out a sigh.

"Sorry."

"No, it's alright..." I say, looking at him confused. "Is something wrong?"

He's quiet for a few seconds. Then he stands up and walks over to my bed, sitting down at the edge.

"I'm afraid to say that... something is wrong." I gulp. "You've been having dreams, haven't you?"

"How did you know...?" I ask, leaning back against the headboard.

"I don't know." He answers dryly.

"Wha... But you just said..." I stammer.

"It's weird, but that's how this whole thing works I suppose."

"What are you talking about? What is this 'thing'? What is it that's wrong?" I ask.

He's quiet for another few seconds, keeping his eyes fixated on the floor. Then he looks back at me and his eyes only show sadness.

"You can't stay here Peter." He says regretfully.

"Stay here? You mean at the tower? You mean I have to go to some foster care? Does Tony-"