Chapter 30 - Acceptance

Peter's P.O.V

Days passed and my injuries were healing smoothly. Apparently, I had been out for more than a day after Tony got me to the tower.

I got to stay home from school for a few days and during my time in the tower, I didn't really think about what had happened a few days prior. I didn't want to think about it. I didn't want to imagine what would happen to me when the government would come and take me away from this... family.

Thankfully, the heros helped me keep my mind off things. I noticed that Tony was a little tense and nervous around me sometimes. He deliberately tried to hide his apprehensiveness, but from the way his hands always seemed to have the need to do something and how his answers were shorter than usual, I could tell something was off.

.

.

"Peter..." Her voice was raspy, as if she hadn't consumed any liquids in days. "Peter... why did you leave me...?"

My back is up against a wall and her skeleton is slowly crawling towards me. My legs are burning and I can't move them. My breathing becomes harsher for every breath I take and my lungs are filling up with dust and other small particles floating in the air.

"Why didn't you save me Peter...? You could've saved me... You could've saved him..." She inches closer, her hand getting a tight grip on my ankle. I try to scream. Make any type of noise, but my voice is gone. Instead of any sounds, small bubbles leave my mouth, as if I was under water.

I look behind her and see a green light flash brightly before a man steps out. He's in some sort of green armor and next to him stands a boy around my age.

"Why didn't you save my dad Peter?" His voice lacked any emotions, yet sorrow was clearly present. "Because of you I have no dad."

I tried to regain my voice. I tried to apologize to him for me messing everything up. But no sound was heard and Harry would forever be a boy without a father to come home to.

Harry disappeared and soon the green man was also gone but he exploded, filling the room with more dust.

I closed my eyes and felt her hands grip both my ankles. But she soon let go and sat up. I slowly opened my eyes again and saw the flesh return to her face, every small wrinkle present and those light brown eyes. That condescending look. Her hair fell over her shoulders and a sweet smile appeared on her lips. She slowly raised her hand and caressed my cheek.

I realized I wasn't wearing my mask and my eyes widend. My breathing started to speed up and I felt sweaty.

"Peter." She said firmly and my eyes were suddenly fixated on her. I felt hot tears roll down my cheeks and my jaw was clenched.

She looked at me for a moment before she started to stand up. Just a few meters away, a bright light had appeared and she looked at it before looking back down at me.

"Goodbye Peter." Her tone was sweet. "I always loved you."

The room was silent but I felt rage burning up in my chest. I clenched my fists, but I could barely move my arms, so no punches would be thrown.

"No you didn't!" I manage to yell out somehow and the moment those words left my mouth I felt... relieved. Like a heavy weight was lifted off my chest. But she just continued to smile before turning around and walking into the light.

As her figure disappeard into the light, everything turned pitch black and I closed my eyes.

"No... You didn't love me..." I muttered quielty to myself, slowly opening my eyes to stare out into the abyss. "And I... I don't love you..."