Chapter 24 - Nightmares and Confessions

Peter's P.O.V

I turn in my bed, holding onto the warmth the covers are shielding me with. The room is quiet and I know I'm not fully asleep. My eyelids don't feel heavy anymore and they won't stay down if I don't force them to.

So in the end, my eyes flutter open and I'm met with the gray ceiling. The moonlight is shining in through the window and I slowly sit up, stretching my arms out in opposite directions. I take my phone from the night table next to the bed and the screen is blaring. I flinch away from the surge of light coming from the device.

Without looking, I somehow succed in tapping the password in, then I turn the light as low as possible. I look at the cracked scream and look at the time. 3:24AM. Wasn't Mr. Stark suppose to wake me up for dinner? He probably just forgot to wake me up.

Since I don't feel tired anymore, I can't really fall asleep again, so I quickly use the restroom. Then I walk over to my backpack that is now in one of the chairs. Didn't I leave it on the floor yesterday? Maybe Mr. Stark put it there and didn't want to wake me up.

I realize I'm still in my clothes from yesterday so change into some comfy pyjamas I brought with me, making sure to re-bandage my stomach. I take the backpack and sit down on the bed, balancing the object on my knees. I open it and take Ben's glasses out. I open its case and let out a relieved sigh when I see they're not broken.

I put the glasses on, putting the backpack on the floor next to the bed and lay down again, just looking at the ceiling. I always feel calm whenever I wear the glasses. It really is like a part of Ben is always with me. Of course, I know he isn't really there, but it's still a comforter.

Suddenly, I hear harsh breathing coming from the room opposite to mine. I fly out of bed, putting the glasses on the night table and grabbing my phone. I open the door, tip toeing over to the other side and I end up outside Mr. Stark's room. The harsh breathing is coming from inside the room and it sound like someone is struggling to breathe.

I carefully open the door and peak in. The room is dark but I see Mr. Stark twisting and turning in his bed. He's sweating and grunting. It looks like he's having a nightmare. I don't know what to do. What if I wake him and he's angry I'm awake or in the room or that I woke him up. But if I don't wake him up, he's still going to have the nightmare.

Thankfully, I don't have to make a choice because just a second later, he lets out a cry and his eyes fly open. With a hasty movement, he sits up, struggling to breathe. The sweat is piercing down his fore head and he has a strong grip on his tank top. His body is crouched and he brings his head down. A faint blue light is dancing around the room from the nanoholder on his chest. I see a small tear roll down his cheek and he brings his hands to his face, starting to calm down.

I hear him mumbe "stop" a couple of times quietly to himself and I feel so helpless. Mr. Stark has helped me through so much, but I can't even help him. His breathing is slower and in a balanced pace. He lets out a quiet sigh, followed by a dry chuckle. I feel like I've already breached his privacy enough, so I carefully close the door and tippy toe over to my room again. I close the door and get into bed, making sure my back is facing the door.

After a few minutes, I hear Mr. Stark's door open, then a few heavy steps that stop outside my door. My body stiffens and I get a grip on the sheets, before letting go and closing my eyes, pretending to be asleep. My door opens and I know Mr. Stark is looking at me. He lets out a sigh and walks over to the bed, sitting down on the edge. He's quiet for a few seconds before letting out a chuckle.

"You're a terrible fake sleeper, you know." He says and I keep my back turned towards him.

"I've slept enough, can't really fall asleep again." I hum and Mr. Stark lets out a laugh.