Chapter Sixteen

Lunar's POV

"If you drop me, I'm going to kill you. Please, don't drop me," I whined, looking down at the pool of jelly under us, Parker carrying me on his back patiently. I knew my eyes were playing tricks on me, but we looked way higher than we actually were, and it was terrifying, "Why did we agree on this bet, again?"

"Then stop moving and we'll be good. Also, because we can't say no to a challenge, no matter how stupid it is," He dared to shrug, his throat releasing a laugh at my yelp of almost pulling us off. Mathis and Lucy were already halfway on their planks, Mathis encouraging and helping Lucy balance as she moved. Parker took another step and started laughing all over again, calling out, "This is unfair, he's squirmy!"

"You chose him as your partner!" Mathis and Lucy called in sync, halfway across their plank, and have no mercy in our defeat, "Be glad we didn't go through with blindfolds!"

He thought for a moment before demanding, "Get on the plank."

"What? Why?" I shook my head frantically, glaring at him, "You're going to push me in, aren't you?"

"They said both of us had to cross the plank, but they didn't specify how. So, I need you to shut up and trust me," He laughed at my demise. Whimpering, I got off his back and carefully stood onto the plank, wobbling as he very slowly turned around to face me. He held onto my shoulders as he teased at my expressions, "Some things never change, and those expressions are definitely one of them. Just breathe and step when I step. I will hold onto your shoulders, and you balance the weight... and obviously don't let me fall."

"I-I-I m-much pr-prefer n-not d-doing th-that i-idea," I was growing dizzy, my fear spiking drastically I was certain my violent shaking was going to knock us both off the damn beam.

"And losing this bet and being shamed by Mathis? Your choice," He raised a brow, tilting his head as I glared at him. How dare he weaponize such information against me and be so correct.

"G-Go fuck thyself," I spat, following him with slow steps, "C-Can't we forget this bet and elope to Alaska where she'll never find us? Overcome by the wilderness around us and risk our chances with the bears and moose?"

"Maybe herd goats while building our home from scratch. Getting stocked up on supplies for the winter and making wool blankets?" He smiled, looking around in wonder like it was a fond memory, a beautiful plan to form and create.

"Why goats? Why not cows?" My brows furrowed, shaking my head at him, "Cows live in Alaska."

"Even better; Buffalo," He grinned from ear to ear, glancing passed me, "I hear they're lovely to take care of."

"They're big and scary," I pouted, scrunching my face, "Getting them mad is dangerous and we have to help birth calves."

"You watch too much Animal Planet," He chortled, "By the way, we're caught up with them. Good job!"

I looked over and we were in line with Mathis and Lucy. Parker had tricked me into focusing on something that wasn't the height, so I didn't even notice we had been moving during this whole conversation. Of course, telling me this only made my trembling spike up as I looked down and latched onto him, "Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope! Mm-mm, nope! I hate this, I hate you, I hate everything. I will not die up here with you!"

He held onto me super tight, forcing my squirming to stop as he laughed, "Don't do that, or we are going to fall, You Dope! Breathe, we are almost there. It's just a few more steps, alright?"

"Yes, but your shoe's untied," I cried, pointing at his shoelaces, "Do you know the likeliness of us falling from tripping on loose shoestrings? Sixty-seven percent of one-thousand children injured from loss of footing were due to untied shoelaces!"