22. Road Trip

Just don't question it, k?

I rushed into the crowded airport, Dinora in a small cage in my hand, my suitcase in the other. My mom dropped me off at the airport so I had to say goodbye to my family back at the house.

"Bye David! Thanks for coming. Good luck!" She said hugging me. I reached the customer desk, 10 minutes before I even needed to. "I have a flight booked to LA at 8:40," I said. She looked at Dinora and I raised an eyebrow.

"Sir there must have been a misunderstanding. We don't allow pets on Zoom Airline planes," She said apologetically. "You have to either leave the animal here or get someone to drive it down to LA for you." I cringed and looked at Dinora. "I looked it up, it says you're allowed animals as long as they're in a cage," I answered, confused. "Only if you have a medical condition and a note from your doctor stating that the animal is in fact necessary." I walked away from the desk in defeat, and sat on a bench, Dinora's cage beside me.

Shit. This is bad. This is really, really bad. I texted Taylor, to see what I should do.

Taylor: u have to drive u know

Right then. Me, Dinora, and my dad's spare mustang, on a nice 30 hour long road trip to LA. Perfect. Just, perfect.

~~~

I had to go home and explain to my family what happened. Luckily my dad did actually let me take the old mustang to LA. Me and Dinora set off on our adventure around the time my actual flight was supposed to depart.

I set up the satnav and we were on our way. The radio was carked up to full volume as we sped down the busy highway. Dinora was howling to the radio, and I sang along with her. We drove for about 2-3 hours, before we stopped off some food and a potty break. We were in a gas station. I bought myself some snacks for the ride, and Dinora a plain hotdogs so she had something to eat.

I walked her around the gas station, and a little out into the forest behind. As we walked though the eerily quiet forest, Dinora suddenly perked up and started growling at a nearby tree. I was freaked out, so I just picked her up and legged it back to the mustang.

Once i made sure I wasn't followed, I drove off. I noticed that as I drove off, a small black mini cooper followed me down the highway. I sped up, and when they finally were out of view, I knew I was safe.

"Thanks Dinora," I said to her, patting her on the head, and throwing her half of the hotdog. "If only you could talk and tell me what you saw..." I said. She tilted her head. "Yeah didn't think so. Good girl, anyway."

It was getting late so I typed the nearest motel into the satnav and headed there. I checked into a room, hiding Dinora under my jacket as I booked the room, so there wouldn't be a replay of what happened back at the airport.

I settled down on the small bed and tried to turn on the small, boxy  TV on the desk at the end of the bed. The screen lit up for a second or two, then went black again. I wanted to go ask for a new TV, but I didn't feel like hiding Dinora again.

I set out a bowl of water and some food for her, and decided to call it a night.

The next morning I woke up early to a knock on the door. I didn't recall there being cleaners at motels, so I was sceptical going to open the door. I tiptoed up to the door and peeked though the keyhole. I could barely see, but I somehow made out two people. I cleared my throat and opened the door.

"Oh my god! I told you Shirley! It was him!" There were two girls teenage standing infront of me. "Uh, hi?" I didn't know what to say. They were now both standing with their mouths open, staring at me. "Can I help-" I was about to ask them a question when one of them tackled me with a hug. I stumbled at laughed awkwardly, patting her back slightly.

"We love your vlogs so much! We thought we saw you so we followed you! And we found you!" The other girl said quickly. "Thanks for the support and all, but following someone across a country is kinda messed up, to be honest," I informed, the blonde one still hanging on to me tight.

They hung their heads and after a lousy apology, they decided it was best to leave. Damn right it was. I decided to do the same. I gathered my stuff, left a tip, and hid Dinora back under my jacket. Back on the road. According to the satnav, I should get there in less than 12 hours.

After a couple more pit stops, it was 1am.