P R O L O G U E

PROLOGUE: The Past 》

Yashiro Nene was in fourth-year elementary school when she first met Yugi Amane.

He was a boy from the rural areas who recently moved with his family to the city area. He was a quiet, shy, and timid boy when he was first introduced to her class. He had an adorable face and dashing amber eyes that she adored. Yashiro couldn't help but think that he was really cute.

He was asked to sit behind her by the window, and Yashiro really wanted to befriend the shy boy. One time during lunch break, she saw him leaning by the window watching the field below. She thought of approaching the brunette and introducing herself. So, she did.

"Hey there, my name's Yashiro Nene. Would you like to be friends, Yugi-kun?" 

As soon as she introduced herself and offered her friendship, he faced her with a scared look on his face and immediately ran away. He looked like he was terrified of her and the rest of her classmates. She couldn't exactly blame him since he might be scared of the new environment he was in.

She didn't stop there, though. There were other times that she approached him and offered her friendship, yet he refused and walked away. She was always left dumbfounded and confused after every attempt she made. 

Yashiro thought it was weird of him to do that. She thought he was arrogant.

One day, their science teacher paired the two up for a project. Yashiro saw it as an opportunity for her to possibly befriend the boy. It was about astronomy, and they were assigned to make a 3D-model of any heavenly body of their choice. 

Yashiro decided to approach the boy during the lunch break. She turned her body behind her to meet the silent boy who was staring outside the window, silently eating his packed lunch.

"Ne, Yugi-kun. What do you think we should make?" She asked him, a kind smile on her face. 

Then, for the first time, she saw his face glow with another emotion besides fear: happiness.

"There are so many heavenly bodies we can make! Stars, planets, black holes, even a nova!" His eyes lit up with excitement as Yashiro stared at him surprised. Never in her life has she seen this side of Yugi at all, "We can try making Saturn, with all its rings. Maybe Jupiter, so we can draw that big red spot on it!"

She smiled, a bit overwhelmed with his sudden outburst of excitement, "How about... the moon instead? It's simple but really pretty."

Yashiro was even more surprised to see Yugi grin so wide, "I love the moon! Let's do it."

That was how Yashiro and Yugi's friendship started.

They began the project in Yugi's house, where Yashiro met his whole family. His father was a book publisher who owned a very successful publishing company, while his mother was a housewife who took care of everything in their house. Yugi's twin brother, Tsukasa, was really playful really a bundle of joy. He and his brother really loved each other, Nene noted, as they literally did everything together.

After they worked together to make their project, Yashiro learned a lot of things about Yugi. For example, his dream to be an astronaut and his passion for astronomy. She also learned a lot of facts about space from him, like how the moon was 360,000 km away from the Earth. He also didn't hesitate to show her his treasure -- a small rock which he called a "moon rock", that apparently fell from the moon to the Earth and knocked on his head when he was four.