C H A P T E R F O U R T E E N

《 CHAPTER 14: Tsuchigomori's Dilemma 》

"What's taking him so long?"

Yako bit the inside of her mouth, looking around each side of the hallway. Her arms were folded across her chest, and her body leaned against the wall. She was in front of her boundary, waiting for the wonder assigned with her to investigate the rapid spike of the number of evil spirits that were roaming Kamome.

Finally, she heard footsteps erupting from the right. She removed her back from the wall and turned to face her partner for the assignment. Scowling, she glared at him.

"You're late."

Tsuchigomori rolled his eyes, "You aren't the one with a workload of papers to check."

Yako scoffed. He did have a point, but he wasn't the one maintaining most of the boundaries around Kamome Academy.

Yako let it go though, there was no point in fighting and postponing this investigation any further.

"Anyways, we should get going," Tsuchigomori spoke up, before beginning to walk up the stairs.

The fox spirit followed him, and the two entered her boundary. Ever since regaining her position of being Mystery Number 2, her barrier had completely transformed into a beautiful sakura orchard. It didn't change much from the time no one took the seat, only that there had been more added details of a traditional Japanese shrine house.

"Definitely not your boundary," Tsuchigomori commented, "It isn't creepy or designed like a shrine anymore."

Yako growled, "Shut up! At least my boundary doesn't look like a rotten, old library with a hidden mine."

Tsuchigomori turned to look at her with a dark look on his face. Yako couldn't help but gulp. She had to admit, his glare was a bit terrifying to look at. He certainly would've killed any woman with that hot glare.

But it was different with Yako since she was already dead, to begin with.

But surprisingly, Tsuchigomori smiled shortly after, his face loosening up to a calm expression. That left Yako a bit confused.

"I was kidding, Echinococcus. You seriously can't differentiate a statement from a joke."

"More like you can't differentiate a joke from an insult," Yako retorted, "Seriously, it's like you have multiple personalities all at once*."

To her surprise, Tsuchigomori chuckled. His chuckle was deep and raspy, which made Yako's legs weaken a bit. Her face reddened.

'Goddamit, Yako. Pull yourself together,' She slapped herself on both her cheeks, 'Keep your emotions at bay, you're on a mission.'

"Anyways, where are we heading to anyways?" Tsuchigomori looked around the boundary, seeing portals in every place he turned to. Yako snapped out of her thoughts and cleared her throat.

She began to take the lead and walked to the boundary they needed to check out, "There's a boundary that seems to be overloaded with low-level spirits. It sits close to the border between the near and far shore, and I'm speculating that someone seems to be opening the border and letting the low-level spirits stay in the boundary."

"So where we're going to is a warehouse of low-level spirits?" Tsuchigomori asked.

"Something like that," Yako continued to walk, "It's also important to mention that it's the same boundary that Number Seventh broke to save the girl."