C H A P T E R N I N E T E E N

《 CHAPTER 19: The Last Resort 》

Hanako was beyond enraged right now.

Why did it have to come back? Why was it that when things were going so well and according to plan, that devil of a curse just had to come back and throw things off course? Hanako had to get out of this dejected mood of his and do something. There was no use moping around about how the curse was back. 

"Tsuchigomori."

Hanako went through the secret door that led to the 4 PM Bookstacks, where Tsuchigomori sat at his reading chair, reading the former's book while smoking his n-th smoke of the day. The room was filled with smoke, it made Hanako almost sick. As soon as Hanako reached the curator, Tsuchigomori had already closed his book.

"Honorable Number Seven," Tsuchigomori called back, already aware of the occurrence that had shaken up the Seventh. Hanako had a distressed look on his face, and he knew exactly what the boy was about to say.

"The curse isn't gonna go down without a fight, it's latched itself onto something that it saw as a being close to me," Hanako looked away from Tsuchigomori's gaze, suddenly finding his clenched fists interesting. His nails dug deep into the skin of his palms, the sensation getting stronger and stronger every minute.

Tsuchigomori narrowed his eyes, gulping.

"Will you be..."

"Yes," Hanako confirmed, now raising his head to face his wingman and loyal friend. Tsuchigomori's eyes widened, one of his greatest fears coming true.

"It's about time I go for the last resort."

"It's time for me to return to my boundary," Hanako lowered his cap to cover his face, taking a deep breath.

"The Forbidden Boundary."

"Honorable Number Seven, please," Tsuchigomori pleaded, standing from his seat to try and convince the boy to reconsider the other, safer way, "There is another way, I can—"

However, Hanako softly glared at the Fifth Mystery.

"Sensei," He told Tsuchigomori in a low voice before raising his head. Tsuchigomori's eyes widened to see a sad smile on the boy's face, "This is my road of redemption. It's my responsibility, and I don't want anyone else risking their lives for me."

"And," Hanako narrowed his eyes as his smile grew bigger and sadder, "I want you to save that one chance of yours to save the future... Use it wisely, just not on me."