C H A P T E R N I N E

《 CHAPTER 9: Wish and Promise 》

Nene sat at the edge of one of the sheds, waiting for the boy to bring back some food. When he came back, Nene was shocked to see him carrying almost a feast on one arm while holding a yogurt drink at the other. She was about to help him but he was already able to put all the food on the wooden platform Nene was sitting on.

"Sorry for the wait," He grinned at her before handing her the yogurt drink, "Here, for you."

Nene stared at the drink in surprise. She took it and gave him a small thanks, "Is this really okay? I mean, I'm the older one. I should be doing all this."

The young boy shook his head as he began chomping on the soba noodles he bought, "This isn't at all a problem!"

Nene smiled, looking at the amount of food beside the boy, "Can you finish that all?"

"Yup!" Amane smiled with glee which really warmed Nene's heart. She remembered Amane being such a heavy eater, yet he never gained weight at all. That was until he suddenly came to school bruised that he barely even ate.

"By the way, Amane-kun," Nene couldn't help wonder, "Do you know about that rumor that if you collect all the five colors of the star festival tags and hang them on the bamboo tree, that anything you wish will be granted?"

"I do," Amane slurped the last of his soba and moved on to his teriyaki chicken, "But I think it's too much of a hassle to find all five."

Nene giggled. That was definitely something Amane would say.

"By the way, nee-san," Amane swallowed, "How did you know that my name's Yugi Amane? We've never met before, and I don't even know what your name is."

"Oh, it's Yashiro Nene," The girl couldn't help but giggle, "Let's say I did actually meet you, but I don't think you remember."

"Oh, okay," Amane suddenly became silent, finishing the last of the chicken.

Nene took a deep breath, enjoying the peaceful silence, "Hey, Amane-kun? Can I ask you about something?"

"Sure, nee-san, go ahead." Nene smiled at the boy's amber eyes.

"What do you want to wish for this Tanabata?" She asked him, a soft look in her eyes as the boy began to ponder.

"Well," Amane thought for a moment, "I think I'd wish for me to become an astronaut."

"An astronaut, you say? Why?" Nene asked the boy. Those amber eyes suddenly twinkled once more, after so many years of Nene wanting to see them.

"I've always dreamed of being one, to be honest," Amane looked at the moon in the sky, "I wanted to see what was beyond the planet earth. I've always wanted to travel up to the sky and see the moon and stars up close."

"Is that so?" Nene pulled out all the tags she got from the stalls she went to. She didn't need the tags anymore, her wish was already granted. 

"Give me your hand," She told the boy. He slowly gave his hand to her, and she got all of her tags to him. He stared at her, shocked.

"Onee-san, you have so many," He exclaimed, "But, don't you have a wish you want to be granted?"

Nene shook her head, "My wish was already granted. I have no need for this."