C H A P T E R T W O

A/N: Let's assume Yashiro didn't see Amane in the classroom when she broke Tsuchigomori's yorishiro. She also hasn't gone to nowhere. Let's also pretend that she hasn't met Tsukasa, Sakura, and Natsuhiko just yet.

CHAPTER 2: Conflicts 》

It's been six months since Nene did the ritual to summon Hanako.

A lot has happened since then. 

She's befriended Teru Minamoto's younger brother, Kou Minamoto, who was a third-year middle schooler. He was a really bright and determined kid, who'd always be willing to help her when she needed his help. Yashiro was really grateful to have a friend like him.

She also met all the other school wonders, like Yako of the 'Misaki Stairs' rumor, Tsuchigomori of the '4 PM Bookstacks' rumor, Shijima Mei of the 'Shijima-san of the Art Room' rumor, Shinigami-sama, the 'Guardian of the Underworld' rumor and the three clock keepers from the 'The Clock Keepers' rumor.

She also met Mitsuba, the ghost who was forced to become the third wonder, the Hells of Mirrors, by a shadow. Yashiro didn't see who was that shadow, all she really saw was a black miasma around the figure. Though, what she saw that day really haunted her for a while.

There was also the incident where she and Kou woke up in a fake world created by Shijima where she saw Amane again. She was really happy to see him again and watch the stars with him, but after realizing the truth in the fake world they lived in, she refused to live there any longer. When Amane put her to sleep by tapping her forehead and pretended to be asleep, she heard something that changed her life forever.

She was going to die in less than a year.

It turned out that Hanako was Amane in the painting world, and Nene could only wonder how he was able to impersonate her best friend. Nonetheless, she was furious as to how Hanako put her and Kou in that painting world in order to stop her from dying. She'd rather die than live in a fake, fictional world forever. 

Just a few days after they came back from that world, Hanako acted differently.

He was starting to act more like Amane ever since.

It first started when Hanako made her do her rendezvous bathroom cleaning after school. While she began complaining and whining, he immediately offered her to stop if she didn't want to do it anymore.

Of course, Nene was a bit shocked as he would usually tease and remind her about their agreement. She looked at him a bit wide-eyed while he watched the sun start to release the last of its orange-yellow streaks of light to the land. Then, he muttered something.

"Did you know that the pretty colors we usually see in sunsets are actually caused by smoke particles and pollution that's in the air?"

That was the first time Hanako told her a fact about astronomy. It was also the last fact Amane told her before he started to change.

Right now, Nene was supposed to go to the Science Prep. Room to ask Tsuchigomori about Amane. Tsuchigomori was the best friend and co-worker of Amane's father and was really close to him and his twin brother. She saw a glimpse of his past when breaking his yorishiro, though it was oddly a blur compared to the other times she broke the yorishiro.

She was about to knock when she suddenly heard the sensei's voice inside.

"You know you can't save her, honorable seventh. I know she means a lot to you, but you can't change what the curse has done to her fate." She overheard the fifth wonder tell the seventh.