C H A P T E R O N E

《 CHAPTER 1: Hanako-san of the Bathroom 》

Four years have passed, and Yashiro Nene was now in her first year of high school.

Today was their first day, and Yashiro woke up feeling great. She was nervous but excited to learn at a new school and meet new people. She was also happy to see her best friend, Akane Aoi, again.

The two met during their first year of middle school. She was the first friend Yashiro warmed up to after she moved up to middle school. Aoi was basically Nene's rock right after what happened with Amane. She knew that Amane would be happy with the friends she had now.

Amane. Yashiro's heart sank upon thinking about the boy.

Before Aoi, Amane was her rock. He was always there for her when she needed someone to talk to. She hadn't realized that he felt that way. She didn't realize that he hid so much sadness from her.

A pain rose in her chest, feeling guilt and regret.

Yashiro blamed herself for not talking to Amane more. She hated herself for overlooking the agony behind those amber orbs. She regretted letting the world revolve around her like an ignorant princess.

It was her fault.

"Nene, if you're going to keep taking your sweet time preparing for school, you'll be late!"

She heard her mother's call from the kitchen. Wiping off the tears than formed in her eyes, she stood up from her vanity and took her bag before leaving the room.

In the other room, she saw her mother washing the dishes they had eaten from a while earlier. She kissed her mom on the cheek and bid her farewell.

"Good luck on your first day!"

Yashiro sent a smile at her, before opening the door and leaving the house.

•  •  •

The day ended soon enough.

Nene was really exhausted. They met a lot of people today and had so much fun with their classes. She was also chased by a lot of seniors and sophomores persuading her to join their clubs. Overall, Kamome truly was a nice school.

"I'm glad I chose Kamome Academy as my high school. It's so fun and lively there," Nene exclaimed, walking slowly back home with Aoi. Her best friend giggled at her excitement.

"I'm sure we'll be able to make many great memories there." 

Nene turned back to her friend with a smile, "Say, you told me yesterday in chat about ghosts in the school or something?"

Aoi beamed with excitement, "Oh, you mean the Seven School Wonders of Kamome Academy!"

"Yeah, what's the story in that?" Nene couldn't help but ask.

"You see, for many generations, my family has gone to Kamome Academy to study. And according to my grandmother who studied there, the school has its own seven wonders." Aoi checked to see if her friend was still interested. Nene's eyes were attentive to her friend.

"For now, I'll tell you about the most famous mystery, the seventh, Hanako-san of The Bathroom." Nene's eyes widened, feeling engrossed into the story.

"In the third stall of the third-floor girl's bathroom in the old school building resides a girl named Hanako-san. It's rumored that if you knock on the door of the third stall three times, then say, 'Hanako-san, Hanako-san, are you there?', she'll appear and grant any wish that you want. Of course, it comes with a price. In exchange, she'll take something precious from you."