C H A P T E R F I F T E E N

《 CHAPTER 15: Hanako's Resolve 》

Hanako wasn't the type to usually roam around the halls of Kamome Academy during the school day, but for some reason, he wanted to listen to the conversations of the students, and watch how they interacted.

"Hey, Shinomiya-chan, wanna drop by Morinomiya Market when we walk home? I'm kinda craving for takoyaki."

"Sure thing, Hayasaka-chan!"

"Wha— Cut it off, Kamitani! I don't like Inomata that way."

"Hey, hey, did you hear about the news? Apparently, Zen and Shirayuki from Class 2-B are dating now."

"Seriously? I totally saw it coming, good for them."

"You totally missed that time, Kageyama!"

"Hinata, dumbass!"

Hanako continued to walk and listen in to conversations. Yashiro wasn't at school today, she was still sick with the flu, but Hanako made sure to cast a protection seal on her so that no spirit would harm her. Without her around, he really was bored.

Listening to the conversations of the students was one of the things he did to kill time. It was a way for him to know about the situations of the students, and if there were any rumors going on. He also found enjoyment in listening to teenage gossip.

Though he had to admit, he really did want to join in on conversations like this.

He really missed the feeling of normally talking to a friend about how their day went, their problems, and the stories they wanted to share. That was one of the things that he really missed to do, right after dying. While walking with his head in the gutter, Hanako failed to notice Kou and his friends passing by. Kou looked back at Hanako, who continued to walk.

'What happened to him? What's he thinking of right now?'  Kou couldn't help but think.

"Hm, Kou? Is something the matter?" Yokoo snapped Kou out of his train of thoughts. The young exorcist looked back at his two friends, who had curious gazes as they looked at him. Kou flashed a fake grin.

"Oh, it was nothing. I thought I saw something, that was all."

But he really was concerned for Hanako, ever since he saw what he did to those spirits in front of the infirmary window. 

Hanako ended up going to the rooftop after his walk around the school. Surprisingly, not a lot of people really go up there, so it was usually where Hanako would go to think. Sitting down at his usual seat at the edge of the water tank, he took a deep breath.

"Hurry up, Haruhi!"

"I'm coming, I'm coming. Just be patient, Tamaki."

"So, how was your day so far?"

"It was..."

Hanako watched the couple that sat down at the edge of the rooftop, opening their bentos and having fun. It reminded Hanako of the time when he and Yashiro used to meet up at the school rooftop and do just the same thing. A pain rose in his chest as he began to remember more of Yashiro: her smile, her laugh, her fingers—

Tears started flowing out of Hanako's eyes. 

If only he had reconsidered his actions long ago, none of this would've happened. He already knew that his future was going to be better, if only he hadn't tampered with the boundary. Yashiro would be happy and alive, living until she grew old. His brother would also be alive and well, and he wouldn't have gone crazy under the influence of his curse. He would've been just fine without changing fate.