Chapter 14

Izaya's POV

I exited my building, smiling into the evening sun. A warm breeze ruffled my hair, a drastic change from the cold winter winds that swept though Japan only a few weeks ago. However, during most of that time I was hiding away in my apartment, but I could still feel the air becoming heavier and colder, as well as my mood becoming more depressing. Ah, yes, bipolar depression combined with seasonal depression was quite the thing.
Birds were singing in the few trees decorating the side walks, flowers beginning to bloom on the once barren trees. I felt a giddy excitement bubbling in my chest as I made my way to Ikebukuro, a skip forming in my step. It wasn't long before I heard the familiar yells of my favorite protozoan, music to my ears. It seems he's still working, taking care of yet another client refusing to pay. That poor human was certain to be in quite the mess once Shizu-chan was done with them. I leaned against a wall, waiting for him to finish up, not wanting to get in the way of his business. I watched him from the shadows, observing every movement and facial expression. Unlike mine, his face was usually plastered with that annoying stoic look, as though it was made of concrete.
I closed my eyes, enjoying the spring air and the screams coming from his frightened victims.

It felt like just a moment had gone by before I heard the familiar yell, "IZAAAAYAAA!!!"
He was oh so easy to read, though his face was twisted into a scowl, the slight tremble in his voice betrayed him. He was clearly still worried about me my condition. I laughed and clicked my tongue, "Hello there, Shizu-chan! What  a pleasure it is to see you!~" He growled in anger, all previous notions of concern seemingly forgotten as he tore a street sign from it's concrete prison.
I hooked a knife from my pocket, pointing it in his direction with a smile.
And we resume our lovely game of cat and mouse.

I booked it, running from the blonde man who was certain to follow. I jumped over a tall barrier with ease, and Shizuo proceeded to plow through it like an angry bull.
We only just started but I already feel myself getting tired, my body not in the greatest shape from my, problems, the past few months.
I soon found myself cornered, the monster coming to a stop behind me. I panted, trying to catch my breath. Shizuo swung the street sign at me, which I narrowly managed to avoid. I drew my knife once again, slashing him across the chest. Deep enough to draw blood but not nearly enough to actually cause any damage to my precious monster. "You damn flea! I'll kill you!" He screamed, swinging again, the pain doing nothing but fueling his rage. It hits me dead on, my cat like reflexes kicking in much too late. I hit the ground, cursing at myself. I quickly managing to get back to my uneasy feet, ignoring the pain in my ribs.
I strengthened my grip on my knife, knuckles turning white from the force.
I swung it at him again, slicing his forehead and flinging his glasses away in the process. He brought the sign over his head, bringing it down with such force it broke the pavement where I had just been standing.
And that's my queue to find a way to escape. I jumped onto a trashcan, and made my way onto a ledge, almost out of the protozoan's reach. He managed to knock me off my feet with the sign, and I hit the ground below with a thud and a crunch. I landed poorly, my right wrist and more of my ribs breaking. A gash was left on my calf from the sharp edge of the sign. I rose to my feet, coughing violently, blood coming to my lips. I spat, disliking the sickening taste of iron in my mouth. I gripping my ribs with my injured hand, covered in scrapes from the concrete. My smile widened as I dashed away from him, running faster despite the pain shooting through me. I jumped into a dumpster, grimacing, hoping the stench will hide my scent from the monster's powerful nose.

I panted as another wave of dizziness came over me, and I bit my lip waiting for it to pass. I heard the protozoan's thudding footsteps running past, "IZAAAAYAAA!!!" I winced slightly at the sound reverberating inside my metal hiding place.
I waited for another few minutes, catching my breath. I exited the dumpster, wincing again, but this time at the pain that was becoming clearer at every passing moment. Normally I could have easily avoided his attacks, and toy with him for a lot longer. I pulled my fluffy hood over my head, proceeding to limp home, avoiding prying eyes. That is until a certain headless woman pulled up next to me, her motorcycle neighing as it came to a halt. I glanced up at her, narrowing my eyes to read her phone screen, 'Are you alright? I saw what happened. Do you need me to take you to Shinra?' I rolled my eyes, scoffing, "I'm fine Celty, just a little bruised is all! A God like me can't be killed by such measly attacks, even if it did come from a monster!"
She didn't look convinced, and I could feel her nonexistent eyes digging into me. She shrugged and typed, 'Alright, just be careful' before taking her leave.

I made it home a while later, breathless and covered in sweat. I took off my thick jacket, throwing it to the floor. I collapsed into my bed, not caring enough to treat my wounds, despite them being covered in filth. I passed out immediately, completely exhausted from my adventure.

Shizuo's POV

What the hell is wrong with that flea!? He acts like nothing happened, and then instigates another fight! I was so worried about his dumbass, only to get slashed by that stupid knife of his. Then he runs off and I can't find him. Ugh I'm gonna need a cigarette.
There's so many thoughts and feelings swirling in my head, making me angrier as a throw the street sign aside.
On one hand, I want to kill him once and for all. On the other hand I want to know for sure he is alright, all that happened over the past months weighing heavily on my mind.
Not to mention I hurt him! He was covered in cuts and wounds because of me! I run my hand through my hair as I head back, retrieving my now cracked sunglasses. Thankfully I have extras in case of problems like this.
I head home, stomping and biting down on my cigarette as I recalled today's events.

Weewooweewoo somebody get this man a doctor