Chapter 32

Izaya's POV

I looked around wildly, my heart racing in my chest. Shizu-chan was still asleep next to me. I don't want to wake him, so I get out of bed quietly. I change into my usual outfit, barely able to secure my belt with shaking hands. I write a note, just in case he wakes up before I return. Though I doubt he will, seeing as it's only 3 in the morning.

I leave, feeling free as I run to Ikebukuro, the city a lot less lively at night. Everytime my feet slap against the pavement I find myself running faster. I find a good place to get up, quickly finding myself going from rooftop to rooftop. Adrenaline courses through my veins, the wind buffeting my hair. My still healing wounds ached, however I paid them no mind, knowing I could handle it.

It wasn't long before I found myself panting, standing at the familiar park I went to as a child. I absentmindedly sat on the swing, kicking my legs to propel myself. Soon I was as high as the swing could take me, a feeling of peace coursing through my veins. I heard the all too familiar sound of a horse, seeing the headless rider coming to a halt in front of the playground. She jumped off of Shooter, typing away on her PDA. Instead of bringing myself to a halt like a normal person, I jumped off, flipping and twisting midair like a cat. I landed gracefully on my feet in front of her. I saw her shoulders drop as she sighed in exasperation. 'Why are you out so late? Does Shizuo know where you are?'
I clicked my tongue, not bothering to put up a mask, just letting myself be me. I was in a good mood now, and I doubt she could tell the difference. "Worried are you?" I chuckled, walking a bit away from her. "Had a nightmare, nothing new." I shrugged, keeping my eyes on her. "And no, he doesn't. Currently Shizu-chan is fast asleep in my bed. Needed to get away for a bit, and I find running around the streets of this amazing city quite enjoyable."
'Be careful, Izaya. I don't want to come home to find Shinra saving you from death again. He always worries about you, y'know?'
I rolled my eyes, "The only thing that man cares about is you, Celty. He has little interest in humans, myself included."
She simply shook her head, and flicked me in the forehead before hopping back on her bike, driving off into the night.

I was starting to grow tired, my energy depleting much faster these days. I yawned as I left the playground. I quickened my pace, sprinting and leaping from roof to roof, all the way back to my apartment building. I had last track of the time, the sun already rising in the sky, birds chirping, and the city coming to life. I fiddled with my keys for a moment, unlocking the door and entering. A very disgruntled and displeased looking beast watching me from the couch. I ignored him, feeling myself tense up under his gaze. I placed my jacket back on the coat rack, taking off my shoes.

I poured myself a glass of water, chugging it before making myself some coffee. I settled into my desk chair with the mug, setting it on my desk before turning to look out the window. The humans below looked so small, like tiny little ants mingling about.
The apartment was eerily quiet, and I could feel Shizu-chan's gaze burning a hole into my head.
"I just went for a run, don't get your panties in a twist." I mumbled, much to the displeasure of my boyfriend. I turned to look at him, watching as he sighed. His voice was a whisper compared to his usual yelling, "I know it's just...you're still healing and I don't want anyone to try and hurt you again..." My heart softened, and I got up, sitting next to him on the couch. "I know...I'm sorry for worrying you. I just...needed to get out for a while and clear my head..."
"You had a nightmare? I was pretending to be asleep..." He admitted, rubbing the back of his neck. I nodded, my fingernails seeming to be the most interesting thing in the world right now as I avoided his gaze.

I felt his strong arms wrap around me gently as he pulled me against him. "Do you wanna talk about it? Kazuka always said talking about his nightmares helped..." Shizuo offered sheepishly. I nodded, but prefaced it by saying, "It wasn't anything new. But I know you won't be happy when I tell you."