Chapter 24

Shizuo's POV

We reached Shinra's in record time, Shinra had also been informed of our plan and had already had all his stuff prepared in case or injuries.
He looked shocked at the Flea's state, and I ordered for him to hurry, and that he can deal with my wound after.
He complied, and before long I was fixed up, and Izaya was still unconscious.

It was a few hours before he woke up, shaking despite being strangely calm given his situation.

It was the words he said afterwards that sent me into a blind rage, forcing me to leave Shinra's house so I wouldn't destroy it. Broken vending machines and street signs littering the street as I finally managed to calm myself.

Izaya's POV

I woke up to the usual blinding lights of Shinra's lab room, gritting my teeth in pain. Shizu-chan was clutching my hand in his, asleep at my bedside. I sighed deeply, trying to calm myself as best I could, letting all my emotions wash over me. The brute woke up as I shifted in the bed, wincing, my entire body felt like I had gotten hit by a truck.
"Izaya..." He mumbled, looking at me with soft eyes. We were quiet for a few moments, before Shizu-chan barraged me with questions.
"Is this what you meant by torture? They've done that before?"
I forced my mask on my face, calm despite everything, though I could feel myself shaking. I gave a small nod, giving a half smile, "Yeah, but it's okay! I'm used to it." I was trying to convince myself of that more than the man I was speaking to.
Shizuo was quiet, clearly not the answer he was expecting. He left the room quietly, and I could hear the front door slam shut.
Soon I could hear the sounds of breaking metal, and the monster yelling through the night.

'He's probably disgusted with me...' I frowned, grasping the blanket with my shaky hands. I felt disgusted with myself too, my body having just been used as a toy. I needed the job and the money, but I was starting to question if it was really worth all the pain.
Though I know for a fact if I tried to leave worse things would happen.
I closed my eyes tightly, hot tears threatening to fall. I bit my lip, attempting to hold back a sob, failing.
I felt two pairs of arms wrap around me, Shinra and Celty comforting me the best they could. That alone made me cry harder into Shinra's shoulder, wetting the fabric of his lab coat with my tears. I felt guilty, making my few friends see my like this time and time again.
After a bit, I quieted down, hiccuping and wiping my face with the blanket. I didn't know what to say to the two of them, so I simply mumbled a quick thank you, before going quiet again.

I was curled up in a ball under the blankets, wanting nothing more than to sleep. Everything hurt so bad, even the painkillers from Shinra barely helped.
I heard the door to the room open and close quietly, and I pretended to be asleep. The footsteps and heavy breathing told me it was Shizu-chan. He plopped down onto the chair next to me sighing heavily.

It wasn't long before he started thinking aloud, talking to himself. "I really wish I was allowed to kill those Yakuza fuckers...no one hurts my Flea..." His voice cracked as he continued, sadness clear in his voice. "How long have they been doing that to him? How didn't I notice before...the pain in his eyes. The way his hands would shake as he pointed his knife at me. The way he'd hide and run from me somedays instead of fighting back. I always thought he was some evil emotionless bastard, and I can't help but feel guilty for thinking that...you're just a broken man, Izaya. And I wonder what broke you, what hurt you. And I think those Awakusu bastards had some part in it..."
I stayed quiet, still trying to pretend to sleep. I was crying again, sniffling quietly. I heard Shizu-chan rise from his seat, and my breath caught in my throat as I felt the blankets lifted.
I looked up at him, my carmine eyes puffy and red.

"Oh, Izaya..." he mumbled, his voice full of sadness and pity.  He lifted me gently, cradling me in his arms before climbing into the bed. I sat on his lap, my face pressed against his chest as I let all the pain I'd bottled up for years spill out. I sobbed and sobbed, soaking his shirt. He gently ran his hands through my hair and patted my back. It wasn't long before I fell asleep in his arms, exhausted from crying and from my earlier experience.