Chapter Two

The final bell rang and students flowed out of the classrooms. I slowly walked out of my sociology class and was met with Niall. We walked to our lockers together discussing our day and cracking a few jokes here and there. We had a very similar sense of humor. Our jokes bounced off of each other with ease. I could tell that we were going to be friends for a long time. I hoped we would.

A body about that same size as mine collided into me. I turned around to see a boy with blue eyes, not as bright as Niall's but similar. He had soft brown hair and an angry scowl on his face. I bent down to pick up whatever books I'd knocked from his hands.

"Watch it, bitch," his voice boomed. My mouth hung agape at his rudeness. I shoved the books into his hold and started to walk off until Niall pulled me back.

"Chill out Louis. This is Elaine, the new girl I was telling you about. Elaine, this is my buddy Louis, he can be kind of a dick sometimes, but he doesn't mean it, right Louis?" Niall smacked his friend's shoulder. The boy's, Louis', facial expression settled into a soft smile. It was unsettling that he could go from being so rude to looking so kind in a matter of seconds.

"Right, sorry. So this is the new girl everyone is talking about?" Louis asked. People were talking about me? What were they saying? Thoughts flew through my head. I hated the thought of people talking about me. It wasn't something I was new to, but I didn't want a relapse of last time. I couldn't let anyone get in my head. It was too much. I resituated my attention to the two boys in front of me. They must be good friends.

"Yes, and if you don't mind, we have to catch the bus. See you tonight Louis?" Niall asked. Louis nodded and waved goodbye. I walked the rest of the way to my locker and stuffed my backpack with my homework. Niall showed up beside me ready to go. We walked outside to the bus together and sat in the same seat as we did this morning. He explained to me that once you chose a spot on the bus that it was an unspoken rule to stay there. I guess I was stuck with him. That was in no way a bag thing. I could get used to a presence like Niall.

+

"Aunt Erin? Uncle John? I'm home," I yelled throughout the house. It was silent. I wandered into the kitchen and slung my backpack on the chair. I found a note on the counter. It was from Aunt Erin. I could tell by her chicken-scratch-like handwriting.

Elaine,

Your uncle and I have a meeting at the church tonight. We won't be home until 8 so dinner is whatever you can muster up. I promise we will be home for dinner tomorrow night.

Love Always, Aunt Erin XO

Perfect. Whenever I visited my aunt and uncle when I was little, they were hardly here because they were always at the church. They are very religious people. My dad and I, on the other hand, weren't. It was always an awkward topic of conversation, but thankfully they never pushed their views upon us. Their church friends, on the other hand, made it seem like we were criminals for not being Christians.  We had a mutual agreement to stay away from each other. If we didn't there would be an argument. I sighed and zipped my bag open to begin my homework. I had my English paper almost done, a couple of worksheets in Biochemistry and I had to read a chapter or two of history.

+

It was seven when I finally completed my school work. I stuffed my books and folders back into my bag and walked to the fridge, searching the inside for dinner. I found a block of cheese and contemplated on making mac and cheese or grilled cheese. Noticing we didn't have any noodles, grilled cheese was the winner.

I pulled all of the ingredients out and started buttering the bread. Before I got the chance to turn the stove on, the landline rang. Curious, I picked it up.