Chapter Seven

(He looks so sad in this :(  I just wanna give him a hug)

It was Thursday and Harry hasn't shown up to school since Tuesday. I was beginning to worry. He could just be sick, but he seemed perfectly fine on Tuesday. We even got our project done early and got to talk a little more. He told me more about the carnival he was accompanying me to. His sister, Gemma, has been working there since she was eleven or twelve. He, being about nine at the time, wasn't interested in working so he caused mischief. The neighboring booth was an old couple and Harry decided to take the stuffing out of all of their toys and put it in the bottles for the ring toss booth, halfway across the lot. He must've always been as jaunty as he is now.

"Elaine? Have you been listening to anything I've said?" Niall asked surrounded by the rest of our friend group. My eyes flicked to his as I realized that he'd been talking to me for the last ten minutes. I hadn't replied once.

"I'm sorry. My thoughts have just been crowded lately," I explained while taking a deep breath. Niall continued to talk and my attention shifted elsewhere. A dark car pulled up a couple of blocks from the school and Harry stumbled out of the back. Straightening his posture, he began to slowly walk towards the school. He started to limp on his left leg and his face was red and bloodshot. His brown curly hair was tossed without care and his clothes were disheveled. Concerned, I stood up and walked towards him. Niall was too invested in his conversation to notice.

I think he saw me coming because he began to walk the other way. My pace picked up and caught up to his.

"Harry," I said softly. My hand went to graze his shoulder, but he flinched away. He looked pained, physically and mentally. Anguish filled my body. He's been distant from me before, but not scared, at least I hoped. I hoped it wasn't something I did. If it was, I'd want to know.

"Go away Elaine," he barked, "please," he pleaded a bit softer. Pain seeped through his words and I stopped in my tracks at his reaction. My body stood still and watched him walk away into the woods beside the school. Everything told me to turn back and go to my friends, but I followed him anyway. He didn't look okay and someone needed to be there for him. I remember when that was me and I had nobody. I couldn't fathom having Harry go through that, whatever was going on. It wasn't right for me to leave him alone, but it might also be a bit invading if I followed him.

My body turned to follow his tracks and pushed its way through the trees. My eyes wandered for his brown hair. Nothing. I walked farther and farther, leaves crunching with every step I took. Everything was quiet, but the occasional ghostly breath of wind. For being in the middle of Nebraska, the amount of forestland I was walking through was odd. Normally when I drove down the road there were fields, not trees.

I walked for about half an hour before I heard faint sobbing. Following the noise led me to the once happy, intelligent boy to one that was now hugging his knees bawling against a tree stump. I slowly jogged up to him and crouched down next to him, looking at him making sure he was aware of my presence. He buried his head further into his knees. His breaths short and unsteady.

I leaned against the tree as well and sat next to him. He needed to know that I was there for him. I wasn't going to force him to talk or even acknowledge me, but I was there if he wanted to. I may not know his exact situation, but just by looking at him, I knew he was hurting.

I was taken by surprise when he lifted his head and his chocolate brown hair covered most of his face, His body slowly leaned into mine, his head pressing against my chest. My arms wrapped around his large frame and cradled him. It was not often that you see someone so big and emotionless feel so weak and small.

My shirt started to dampen with the wetness of his tears. "Deep breaths Harry," I cooed. My hands felt up and down his shaking back. He did as told and started to take deep, but shaky breaths. One of my hands left his back and started to comb through his hair. Tangled and thick my fingers hit many knots.